What Could Happen if a Breast Implant Was Placed Back-to-front ?

Hello, I had a breast augmentation and have had pain swallowing. When I swallowed I could feel pain behind my right breast. I chose a new surgeon and had my implants removed, the right one had been placed back-to-front (they were HP round implants). And also had a silicone bleed. In your expert opinion could the back-to-front placement been the cause of the pain ?

Pain with Swallowing Secondary to Breast Implant?

+2

No, I do not think your pain with swallowing was in any way related to your breast implants (or it's positioning). I was just in evaluation by your internist/gastroenterologist.

What Could Happen if Breast Implant Was Placed Back-to-front?Answr:

+1

I cant think of how your pain would be related to your implant or its rotation. And even with the different profiles, in almost all cases, this would not be noticed....Interesting, though...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - What Could Happen if a Breast Implant Was Placed Back-to-front?

+1

I think it is unlikely that the implants, even if "placed" back-to-front, would have caused the symptoms you describe.  Of course, nothing is 100% but it sounds doubtful.

In addition, I would suggest the following:  implants can rotate, so even if it were found to be back-to-front, that's not a certainty that that's how it was placed.  That is even more likely with rounder implants (such as High Profile implants) than with broader (low profile) implants and even less likely if the implants were textured.  But anything is possible.

I suspect that a GI assessment would be the most appropriate course and that the implants are not the most likely source of this problem.  Needless to say, I hope you feel better.

And I hope that this helps,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Implant positioning

+1

The pain you had in your chest was probably not related to the position of the implants being back to front.

Breast Implant Placed Back to Front

+1

Since you had HP round implants, they are symmetric and the only difference between front and back is a small fill valve port on one side. The positioning is not a problem and would not cause pain.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Back to Front Implant

+1

If your implant was placed back-to-front / upside-down, you may notice some contour (shape) abnormalities, but it would not contribute to the pain that you are describing.  I agree with the suggestion that you follow up with your internist or GI specialist to evaluate your pain issues.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

The back to front breast implant

+1

Smooth implants may rotate and turn in the pocket, and can even flip back to front. There is little effect in feeling or appearance. As surgeons this is something we may notice at the time of an implant exchange, though for patients this should cause little worry.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Implant positioning and pain.

+1

Your pain on swallowing is not related to your breast implants or their position of placement.  This is likely due to the tube used for anesthesia  during your surgery irritating your throat.  A check up with your primary doctor could show this by a simple look in your throat for signs of redness or infection.  Implant position of front to back or back to front, has never been shown to have any effect on pain in breast augmentation.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Implant placement

+1

Pain with swallowing is not related to implant placement. If an endotracheal tube was used, that may cause pain or infection such as strep throat (the most likely cause). Implant bleed is very rare and is really a problem that the older implants had. Back to front placement has never been shown to make a difference.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant placed back to front

+1

I do not believe pain with swallowing is in anyway related to your breast augmentation.  You should have an evaluation by your primary care provider with regard to this and you may need to be seen by a gastroenterologist.

With respect to the implant being place with one side or the other facing up, again I know of no evidence that position, one side up or the other has any impact of the implant or the appearance of the appearance of the breast. Silicone bleed is related to older generation implants and is usually seen quite a few years after the breast augmentation.

Good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon