Traditional Lipo or Laser Lipo For Hanging Skin From Weight Loss?

The Plastic Surgeon said I need a tummy tuck because I will have excess skin after liposuction. I have decided to get liposuction. He recommended that I have laser instead of traditional because of the hanging skin. However, if I am going to have hanging skin to play with, why waste the extra money on laser lipo. Shouldn’t I just get traditional, since he said I will have hanging skin anyway? I’m 148 lbs, 5 1 and 39 years old. Lost alot of weight years ago.

Laser vs. traditional liposuction

+1

From what you wrote it sounds like you need a tummy tuck.   If you have really loose skin any type of liposuction can make your area of concern look worse.  Think carefully about what you desire and schedule a consult with a couple different board certified plastic surgeons.  After doing so I think that it will become clear what the best course for you is.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Will Lipo help Loose skin?

+1

If your surgeon has recommended a Tummy Tuck I would not perform just lipo or laser lipo, neither will work well, in fact it will only make your hanging/loose skin worse and you will be upset. I would encourage you not to waste your money on the wrong procedure, you will be unhappy and it will cost you more money to fix the poor results. Make sure your surgeon has the ability to provide all the services you may need (i.e. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon) and he should be able to give you an honest idea of your results! 

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin, lipo, and cost

+1

First, if you have loose skin, laser lipo will not improve it any better than any other liposuction techniques. Furthermore, the lipo procedures should not cost more but that is surgeon dependent.  If you have loose skin, it sounds like you would be better off with a tummy tuck.

Liposuction for loose skin

+1

Liposuction alone will not be able to tighten your skin much, whether its laser assisted or traditional. if you have enough skin laxity its best to explore your options and see if you would be better off with a tummy tuck instead

Misbah Khan, MD

Hanging Skin

+1

If you have hanging skin or loose skin, then you do not need Lipo.  You need the skin removed via tummy tuck.  In most patients, performing lipo (laser or traditional) will only make the skin hang more.  If you post pictures of yourself, we may be able to give you more specific advice.  If your goal is just to look thinner in clothes, then lipo may be an option, but if you want to address the hanging skin, then you really should consider tummy tuck.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction will not tighten lax skin after substantial weight loss

+1

hope you will reconsider what your plastic surgeon said so you don't waste time and money on the wrong procedure. laser vs. traditional lipo really makes no difference, but if lipo is not the right solution for your problem, you should not expect a very good result from either.

there are many unqualified practitioners out there, who bought laser lipo machines but don't have training or credentials to do surgery like tummytucks...therefore every patient they see looks like someone who should get a laser-lipo procedure........

perhaps a third opinion from a board-certified plastic surgeon would be a good idea before going forward. best of luck in your decision-making! 

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Tummy best for loose skin

+1
Laser lipo will not tighten skin enough to replace a tummy tuck. if there was enough skin laxity that a plastic surgeon recommended a tummy tuck then any form of liposuction will make it worse.

Richard Baxter, MD

Hanging skin from weight loss should not be treated by liposuction

+1
Liposuction will produce even more hanging skin and would not be beneficial, regardless of whether performed with or without the laser. The amount of skin tightening that you could achieve with laser would not be significant. It is important to have the correct operation, not one you think will be easier. I suggest that you see other board certified plastic surgeons in consultation. If hanging skin is your concern, panniculectomy rather than full abdominoplasty may be an option.

Robert L. Kraft, MD