Hanging Columella 6 Weeks After Open Rhinoplasty, Could this be Swelling?

I am 6 weeks post-op after an Open Rhinoplasty to remove a dorsal hump and rotate the tip up. I am satisfied with everything except the columella which is really bothering me (mostly from the front view). I know the tip/columella take the longest for swelling to subside but will my columella move up as swelling in that region subsides? Or how will the appearance of the columella change as swelling subsides? Thanks so much.

Hanging Columella 6 Weeks after Open Rhinoplasty

+1

Without a picture it is impossible to determine the cause of a hanging columella, if it will resolve as swelling decreases, or what will need to be done to fix the problem. Submit pictures so we can respond to your question.

Hanging columella present after 6 weeks

+1

It's possible your columella will continue to evolve at this point as there should still be swelling in the area this early in the healing process. Another thing that can give the impression of a hanging columella is alar retraction in which the nostril margins move upward.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Hanging columella after surgery

+1

It's impossible to tell without photos but 6 weeks it should look reasonably close to  what you want. If not discuss it with you surgeon but at this point it is way too early to do anything about it. Swelling is certainly still present.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Columella issue

+1

Without an exam or at least photos it is difficult to say what you have. Sometimes it actually is alar retraction that you see rather than a true hanging columella.