Can a Hanging Columella Make a Nose Look Longer? (photo)

I have a hanging columella and was just wondering how my face could improve if i got it fixed. I was wondering if a hanging columella can make a nose look longer and also make the upper look look smaller? also what can i do overall to make my nose look shorter?

Making the Nose Look Smaller

+1

There are multiple issues that can be improved upon!  We need a full set of photos and a discussion with you to be able to give you more detailed plan.  An in-person evaluation is a must.  Good luck!

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can a Hanging Columella Make a Nose Look Longer?

+1

Yes but from the photo provided the nose is under-rotated and elongated.  An Open Rhinoplasty with Columellar tuck, nasal tip rotation and refinement would address these issues.  

Can a hanging columella make a nose look longer?

+1

Hello, I have reviewed your posted photo and a combination of your columella as well as your nasal tip are an issue. You are a good candidate for rhinoplasty and all of your concerns can be resolved. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

+1

Yes have an operation to correct this issue. Best to seek ONLY in person evaluations. 

Ethnic Rhinoplasty for Hanging Columella Deformity

+1

Looking at the photo, I think you are a good candidate to have rhinoplasty surgery to address the hanging columella issue. In some cases, like yours, the nose can indeed look longer than it should or could. In the hands of a good rhinoplasty surgeon, your tip and columella can be reshaped to provide you with a nice, natural looking result. I have included a link below to a recent patient post that highlights ethnic (Middle Eastern) rhinoplasty surgery to correct a hanging columella issue. Good luck with your search.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hanging columella and droopy tip

+1

Treating your hanging columella and droopy tip can make your nose look less long. Preoperative computer morphing of your nose can allow you to better see what changes can be made and how that will look on your face.

Check out my web reference link below to learn more about hanging columella repair.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Do I Have A Hanging Columella And Does This Make My Nose Look Longer?

+1

Dear David, You have a significant hanging columella and this certainly adds to the length of your nose.  To shorten your nose, I would recommend dorsal rotation of our lower lateral cartilages as well as a tip graft from your septum or from your ear.  Your nose is very long and thin, and the columella is crowding the dimple in the middle of your upper lip (the philtrum).  By elevating your hanging columella, your will not only shorten your nose but shorten your mid face as well giving more balance to your overall appearance.  

This is the point at which you need to make a consultation with one or more Board Certified plastic surgeons who have experience in the complex rhinoplasty. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Hanging columella

+1

It is difficult to say if you have a true hanging columella, a droopy tip, or alar retraction without seeing other views and examining you in person. All three have different treatments.

Hanging columella

+1

you have a long nose with significant alar columella disproportion. A rhinoplasty can address your concerns in a variety of ways. A consult with computer imaging will help you best communicate with your surgeon and visualize your "new nose". 

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Candidate

+1

Dear Davidvilla, Yes the columella adds to the appearance of the length of the nose however you have several issues that would be addressed with the columella to provide an overall nice aesthetic appearance. A good rhinoplasty consultation with direct examination and with digital imaging would be able to show you the changes that need to be done to provide you with all the answers to your questions. If you would like to send more photographs a full frontal view and complete profile view to my website I would be happy to give a further more detailed expert opinion. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD