Hanging Belly, Will Cardio be Enough or do I Need a Tummy Tuck?

Will cardio work or is a tummy tuck needed..i have a two year old and a 1 year old. i have lost 20 lbs n the sagging still remains...i am 22 years old...

To Tummy Tuck, or not...

+2

At 22 you stand a better chance of having your skin shrink with your 20 pound weight loss than someone in their forties. 

However, our skin's snappiness is caused by a protein called elastin.  This is similar to elastic, like in the waistband of streachy pants. 

Having your tummy skin stretch twice from your two pregnancies has probably caused it to lose some of it's snap.  Once the skin continues to hang and hasn't improved for a few months it probably won't any more. 

The real question is if you plan to have more children,  if not a tummy tuck can give you a tight, flat abdomen.  If you do desire more children wait until you're done, the extra skin will stretch easily and hopefully prevent more stretch marks.

Tummy tuck after pregnancy

+1

If the sagging skin and tummy laxity has not improved in one year then it is not likely to improve.  I can't say for sure without a picture but a tummy tuck is likely necessary to correct this for you.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Cardio or tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for your question.  This is a very common problem for women following pregnancy.  Given the fact that you are 22 and have had two children I think it would be very reasonable to assume that you could get your body in shape with proper nutrition and exercise.  Having said that if the abdominal muscles have really been pulled apart or your skin stretched too much as the result of  your pregnancy you may very well require a tummy tuck to get the result that you want. I would suggest that when you have accomplished as much as you can by yourself that you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  

Donald M. Brown, MD

"Sagging" Skin of Tummy?

+1

Appropriate diet and exercise should always be the first " modality"  used to look and feel your best. Based on your description tummy tuck surgery may be indicated at some point. Ideally this would be done when you have reached a long-term stable weight and after having completed pregnancies.

Concern regarding lax abdominal skin

+1

Without at least some photos, it is impossible to provide you accurate information on your condition. Furthermore, no present weight , height or maximum weight were provided. With that in mind, cardio will not tighten the skin. If you still have lax and hanging skin then some form of tightening procedure may be the appropriate choice for you and among these is a tummy tuck.

Your best bet is to see one or more board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Exercise or a tummy tuck for hanging belly?

+1

Obviously, exercising and eating healthy is beneficial to losing weight. Excess skin on the abdomen usually will never improve with exercise alone. Considering an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) after you have completed childbearing would be an option.

Donna Rich, MD

Tummy Tuck Post-Pregnancy

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! It is difficult to tell without personally evaluating you, but people who have especially slack skin in their midsection and abdominal muscle weakness need more than what diet and exercise alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position. If you are planning on continuing to expand your family though, the tummy tuck would not be your best option at this point. It doesn't make much sense to tighten things only to have pregnancy loosen them again, so this is something you should discuss with your surgeon.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

+1

Since no photos posted, I guess you will need a TT to attain the result desired. But if you have not had pregnancies you should consider this as an important decision. 

Diet and Exercise are often not enough to create flat belly after pregnancy

+1

Hi there-

Without an exam, it is impossible to say for sure, but most women will not be able to return to a flat belly appearance after 2 pregnancies without a tummy tuck.

Finish your family first- then see a surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or cardio for excess skin

+1

Over stretched excess skin is very common after pregnancy, and will not go away with cardiovascular excercise alone.  Pregnancy also stretches your abdominal muscles.  A tummy tuck addresses both the skin and muscle problem and is the best way to fix your sagging belly.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon