Would a Handheld Ultrasound Unit Aid in the Healing After a Face Neck Lift? (photo)

I just had a face / neck lift 1 month ago. I have a hematoma in my neck and lumps, bumps, and raised rake marks on both sides of my face and neck. I'm just wondering if this is normal and if it would benifit me to buy a handheld ultasound massage unit for gentle massage to promote faster healing. Thank you

Would a Handheld Ultrasound Unit Aid in the Healing After a Face Neck Lift?

+4

I do not recommend that patients use an ultrasound device themselves.  When I performed very invasive Face Lifts, some 10-12 years ago, it wasn't uncommon for patients to have lumps and bumps from the trauma caused by tissue dissection and cauterization of the underlying vessels to stop bleeding during the Face Lift.  I used a medical grade hand ultrasound to soften these lumps and bumps...but the treatments were performed by me or one of my staff in our office under controlled circumstances.   The ultrasound did help break up the localized inflammation that caused the lumps and bumps.  You may want to ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, that did your Face Lift, if he/she offers these types of treatments for post Face Lift patients.  We always did these as often and as long as required at no cost to the patients.  These were required in about 10% of the Face Lifts.

In the past 10-12 years, we offer a minimal incision Face Lift with limited incisions, tissue dissection and as such we do not get these lumps and bumps and the recovery time is measured in hours, not weeks and months as it can be with more invasive traditional, deep plane or mid Face Lifts (sub periosteal).  Hope this helps.

Ultrasoun Use after Facelift Surgery

+3

Professional ultrasound administration will be beneficial if it is used ASAP and frequently (2-3 times per week) after the surgery. you will see a change within 10-14 days. 

Ultrasound to hasten swelling

+3

When there is no true answer there are many answers...That is a saying of Confuscius. There are many things proposd to do this. I find none including, ultrasound, lmplatic drainae massage or endermology  do very much. It makes you feel good trying to be proactive but Having tried this modality on my patients I see no real difference than being patient

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Handheld Ultrasound after Facelift

+2

I would not recommend a hand held ultrasound device for use after a facelift.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Enhancing Healing After Facelifts

+2

One can enhance healing after a facelift by doing regular facial massage and ultrasound therapy. Also, eating a high protein diet with low sodium intake and, of course, tincture of time will allow for maximum wound healing.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Ultrasound After Facelift

+2

Based on the picture provided, you have residual ecchymosis (bruising).  The first thing I would suggest is that you make sure you aren't taking any aspirin, NSAIDS, vitamin E, fish oil, any exotic supplements, or drinking green tea which can all have some effect on the duration of resolution of this bruise.  Can Ultrasound make the healing faster? Not that I am aware of, but it won't be harmful.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift irregularities and using ultrasound

+2

Some surgeons really believe in ultrasound speeding up the healing. I haven't seen many results or scientific papers that show that ultrasound really makes a difference in healing. The irregularities I see can be decreased with some conservative steroid injections and some directed pressure dressings.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Handle Held Ultrasoud

+2

I doubt if this will help. Tincture of time, maybe six months or so would probably work best. Keep in mind that the healing process will be longer than just one month.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Massage as effective as altrasound

+2

It is probably Quite safe to apply ultrasound energy to your face but its unlikely to make a significant difference. Massage the area gently and be patient. These irregularities will resolve without significant medical intervention.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Photos do show the residual of a post operative complication of a hematoma. Better yet do in office external ultrasound to have a quicker response. In house therapies can air but in office much better.