Is It Acceptable For My Ear To Look Odd and Uncomfortably Attached After Facelift or Should It Be Revised? (photo)

I had a facelift with necklift just over 4 months ago. The necklift was done chokingly tight and I swelled a lot. My right ear appears to be set at a different angle with a fold in front of the ear, blunted tragus and a small pixie. Left ear now also seems to be getting a tiny pixie. Both ear lobes are still sore. My PS says everything is good and tells me to get on with it. I don't think the result is quite right and would really appreciate your views please as I am so worried.

Pixie ear after facelift or plastic surgery

+3

Your ear does appear a touch pulled.  This can happen occasionally and your problem does not appear to be pronounced.  It is also important to consider the pre- surgery appearance; many patients do not have defined earlobes to begin with, and creating an earlobe in order to hide the incision and keeping the ear anchored is a fine art.

If at about six months you decide to have a revision, there has to ample skin there to allow for the reconstruction.  This is an even finer art, and should not be attempted unless the plan and skillset are there to accomplish the reconstruction.

Communication is key

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Especially with the face, it is not unreasonable to have to a little touch up to achieve a result that both surgeon and patient is happy with.  The revision with your ear would be fairly straightforward.  I suspect that if you discuss this in detail with your plastic surgeon you can reach a timeframe where waiting for full healing is complete and a small touch up under local anesthesia can be persued.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: http://drrepta.com

Earlobes post facelift

+2

the photo does show the preauricular skin fold and a slightly elongated rt. ear lobule. At 6 mos. post op that may improve,or be more noticable. You and your plastic surgeon will need to decide if a revision would work. There would probably be enough tissue their for a revision to flatten the skin fold and take any excess tension off the ear lobule.

Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Post Surgical Earlobes

+2

Attached earlobes are a normal genetic variant found normal people.  The question is whether you had them before surgery.  If your earlobes were unattached before surgery, they should be unattached after surgery.  Attaching the earlobe when it is not normally attached is referred to as a Pixie Ear deforminty. Fortunately, it is correctable in the office under local anesthesia once some time has passed. Good luck on your recovery.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry post facelift

+2

Whilst no surgeon can guarantee perfect symmetry, the degree of asymmetry you have may benefit from a small revisional procedure that may simply be able to be performed under local anaesthesia. However, you should continue to massage and moisturise your scars and the area, and return in the first instant to your PS for further assessment and reassurance.

London Plastic Surgeon

Is It Acceptable For My Ear To Look Odd and Uncomfortably Attached After Facelift or Should It Be Revised?

+1

Some patients do have attached earlobes and some do not.  Either way a small revision on the right ear in another few months may be reasonable.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Neck-Lift.php

+1

If you were my patient I would tell you this: you are still early on in your healing. If you are still not happy at 8 or 10 months then we can talk about revision of your right ear. The left ear looks fine for now. Stay in contact and on good terms with your surgeon. All the best.

Web reference: http://www.vancouvercosmeticsurgery.ca/surgical-procedures/facial/face-lift/

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Pixie ears after facelift?

+1

If they were not that way before they can be revised under local anesthesia.  Some people have these naturally.  Your call. 

+1

The posted photos demonstrate a very acceptable result. But you have to be the satisfied person. But remember there are ALWAYS risks doing T/U operations! 

Ears after Facelift surgery

+1

The two ears are never the same in anyone and it is normal after surgery to become more aware of differences in the two sides.  You have a very nice result with very favorable scars and the ears are not really pixie.  You should "get on with it".

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon