Unsure as per what can be done- Liposuction, or Tummy Tuck, perhaps? (photo)

I am in my 20's, and have spent 4 1/2 years changing my life: I have now lost 96 lbs, and am at my first goal weight (finally), however I have been left with some "Battle Scars" in primarily my tummy region. I am unsure as per what can be done about the area (see photos). Everything pools into two saggy bulges/balls in the very center of my tummy. Would I benefit most from liposuction, a tummy tuck, or a mini tuck? I don't so much enjoy the idea of having the scars from a full tuck...

What operation is best

+1

Sorry but it is impossible to best advise you only with the photos submitted and without a physical exam.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Kimberly Henry

+1

Hello! Thank you so much for your question and photos! You would definitely benefit most from a tummy tuck with hernia repair; that will give you the best results due to your weight loss and excess skin. We would love to help you! Come to San Francisco, we'll send a limo to pick you up! Check out our website at drkimberlyhenry.com, call us or send us an email! Best of luck to you!

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Unsure

+1

You are demonstrating a most unusual deformity....which will require the judgment and skills of a well trained plastic surgeon. Certainly not a routine case for an internet opinion. find a (one or several) surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for such an opinion.

Harlan Pollock, MD

Weight Loss - Full or Mini Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.

There are a variety of surgical procedures or combinations that can produce good results in patients with abdominal laxity, depending on multiple factors including their anatomy and degree of desired improvement: A mini tummy tuck, an umbilical float modified tummy tuck, a full abdominoplasty. Each of these can be performed with or without liposuction. They produce different degrees of improvement. The best improvement would be with a full tummy tuck. Liposuction alone will not produce a good cosmetic result.

If you are planning on become pregnant in the future, you may want to wait until you have completed all of your pregnancies or just have the excess skin removed without any underlying muscle repair. Pregnancy following tummy tuck surgery is possible and is not dangerous, but pregnancy will stretch out the skin and abdominal muscles again, usually undoing the repairs that were achieved with the abdominoplasty. In that case, a secondary tummy tuck to repair recurrent muscle laxity or loose skin may be beneficial.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after massive weight loss

+1

It appears from your pictures that you would best be treated with a full abdominoplasty. Liposuction and mini-abdominoplasty procedures would not really address your issues. You really need to have a full exam and consultation to determine if the abdominoplasty is a good surgery for you. It is possible that there may be issues with your abdominal wall (i.e. hernias) that might need to be addressed at the time of the tummy tuck. A complete consultation will identify your candidacy for these procedures and will make sure that you have a safe and predictable result.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon