I Had a Nose Job About 3 Years Ago and Still Have Congestion What Can I Do to Make This Better?

I thought this would go away but it hasn't my nose is always stuffed with mucus. I know it's not structural because sometimes it clears out and I know I have the ability to breath through both holes. I alway want to pick my nose and it's always filled with mucus. I always have to blow my nose and just like a cold it clears completely in the shower. It is getting very annoying and I have no access to my rhinoplasty surgeon. should I go to my family doctor? or can i solve it myself?

Best Treatment for Nasal Congestion After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Kimia,

Nasal obstruction occurs in about 15% of patients after rhinoplasty.  There may be many reasons, but most relate to the nasal valve near the opening of your nostrils (or holes as you refer to them).  The fact that sometimes you can breathe through both sides indicates that either the mucus build up is the cause, or most likely, your inferior nasal turbinates are enlarged, or now since your nose is smaller they are impacting your breathing.  Best to consult with a nose expert, ENT doctor for an examination.  It is important to make sure that you don't have other causes of nasal obstruction.   If your exam is normal other than enlarged inferior nasal turbinates, then I would treat you with radiofrequency volumetric tissue reduction (Somnoplasty) of your inferior nasal turbinates.  This is a non-surgical in-office treatment that permanently shrinks the turbinate tissue and improves nasal breathing.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Nasal congestion

+1

Nasal congestion is unlikely related to yoru rhinoplasty. You may want to check with an ENT for sinus issues or an allergist.

Still congested three years after rhinoplasty

+1

Ther are many causes of nasal congestion, and if the problem is not 'structural' then we feel your family doctor is the best place to start. You have gone it alone without success and perhaps a referral to an allergist or ENT specialist will be required.

+1

There may be multiple factors playing into your symptoms, and an exam by another surgeon would probably be a good idea.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Cause of Nasal Congestion

+1

There are many causes of nasal congestion, including anatomic obstruction, allergies, and malfunction of the nasal lining. With all respect to your family doctor you need to have an examination by an experienced nasal specialist.

Nasal congestion following rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal congestion can be related to turbinate swelling (allergy or Colds), deviated septum, or scarring. Do you have overly thick mucous? See an other  rhinoplasty surgeon or get referred by your family doctor.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon