Hairstylist Here Getting MM. How Long Till I Can Be Comfortably Back at Work?

Hi all, I will be getting a mommy makeover next week. I am a hairstylist but have cleared my schedule for a full 2 weeks. I am concerned about the lifting of my arms for blow drying and cutting. How much discomfort should I expect? Thanks in advance!

Hairstylist returning to work after mommy makeover

+1

I have a lot of patients who are hair stylists and I advise them to take at least 7-10 days off work following a mommy makeover, breast augmentation, or tummy tuck. It may be helpful to return to work part time in the beginning until you're feeling better. Of course, everyone heals differently, so it's important to keep all your follow up appointments and keep in touch with your plastic surgeon.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Plan at least two weeks before return to Hairsylist work after Mommy Makeover

+1

I assume you are having Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck. Two weeks should be adequate for your recovery from the Breast Augmentation to work as a Hair Stylist if you are healthy and fit and not significantly overweight.

If you are not fit and overweight expect a longer recovery. If you are having additional procedures such as Liposuction and or Breast Lift then you may need 3 weeks.

If your implants are p[laced under the Breast gland you will feel fine after a week. However if Breast Implants are placed under the muscle two weeks will be necessary.

Recovery from Breast Augmentation is quicker if Breast Displacement exercises are started relatively soon after surgery-I have my patients start gentle displacement of implants on day 3-but check with your doctor-many do niot approve of this technique.

I find displacement exercises not only help to prevent capsular contracture but also significantly reduce the duration of post operative pain.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Recovery from a mommy makeover

+1

Two weeks should give you plenty of time to recover before work.  However, you may want to start out with some half days to see how you'll do.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Recovery from your Mommy Makeover

+1

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures. Your surgeon will determine if you are a good candidate for a combined procedure based on your health status (past medical history) and your physicial exam. In addition, your surgeon will determine if an overnight stay at the hospital is warranted. After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours. All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck). Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  In terms of returning to work, I tell my patients they can return to a desk job 10-14 days after surgery.  Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff. Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures. I'm sure you'll love your results.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover recovery

+1

I think you will need at least 4 weeks before you can go back to work, considering your occupation and use of arms.  This is especially true if you are about to undergo  sub muscular breast augmentation surgery and/or tummy tuck surgery. You are about to undergo major surgery and you will experience significant physical and emotional “ups and downs”. It may behoove you to speak to other patients who've undergone these procedures.

Return to work after Mommy Makeover

+1

You should be good to go after two weeks, but I would try to reduce your schedule for the first week you are back. You will tend to be a bit achy and will get tired easily. Check with your surgeon also. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Return to work after Mommy Makeover

+1

Normally I would say two weeks is about the time many women take off after a Mommy Makeover, but this varies with each person and the type work they do.  Having had a MM myself I can tell you that you will be tired.  Your job is more physical than a desk job.  Your hands are up and moving all day and your are on your feet.  I would recommend that you schedule yourself shorter days for the first week back and see how you feel.  Get plenty of rest and follow all your doctor's instructions.  I have had patients that were up and doing things in a week and others that have taken off six weeks.  I can't say where you will be on that spectrum, but I can tell you it will be worth it however long it takes.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Returning to Work After Mommy Makeover

+1

Most of my patients are able to return to work after two weeks of recovery. You might want to schedule lightly the first couple of days to see how you do as yours is not a desk job but you are on your feet all day. If you over do it you may see swelling and feel fatigue. Also, try to schedule in some breaks your first few days where you can rest and elevate your feet.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Back at Work After Mommy Makeover

+1

In general, most patients are back to work within 1-2 weeks after Mommy Makeover.  There is usually more recovery time for the tummy tuck part than the breast part.  Two weeks off is usually sufficient for most patients.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover recovery

+1
Hello, Two weeks will likely be sufficient. It's often the tummy tuck component that requires the most time for recovery. You may want to schedule your days a little light giving yourself a few breaks each day as you are more likely to get tired sooner within that first week back at work. All the best, Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD