Can a Hairline Scar Incision Lift the Mouth Area?

Some doctors have told me that adding a hairline incision above the ear in a facelift can help give more vertical lift and help lift the mouth area that is too downward (even though I've had 2 facelifts). Others say, it can't do much of that. Who is right?

Scarless mid facelift lifts the corners of the mouth.

+2

Hi.

You probably don't need another regular facelift at all.  The mid facelift is done though the mouth, and it dramatically picks up the corners of the mouth and fills the upper cheeks.  There is a short incision in the temples, but it is way behind the hairline.

Lifting the corner of the mouth.

+1
Facelifts do not lift the corner of the mouth. Midface lifts done thru an eyelid incision will lift the corner somewhat. However, if the surgeon is not familiar with the technique to do this he may pull the eyelid down. Choose an experienced surgeon!

Mouth Lift

+1

This can be accomplished using an incision similar to a facelift.  As a board certified facial plastic surgeon, it is something that I have had to do for some of my patients who have had nerve damage leading to drooping in the corner of the mouth.  It has to be performed by someone who is trained to do this to get a natural appearing result and avoid a "Joker-like" appearance.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Facelift and mouth lift

+1

No facelift should pull or lift the mouth unless you want to look like the "Joker". If you have some drooping in this area there are a variety of perioral procedures to help with this that will not leave you distorted.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no substitute for a personal consultation.

+1

Lilacs

In order for a hairline incision to have an effect that low in the face, extensive facial surgery and pulling on the tissues is needed.  Unfortunately, it is very difficult for facelifts of any stripe to have much if any effect on the mouth.  The surgery being described to you is a very unnatural type of midface lift.  You facial tissues did not drop from the temple area.  Much of the midface tissues vertically fell from the under eye area.  The long term effect of these sorts of lifts is an extremely unnatural facial appearance including a deformity I refer to as the plateau midface deformity.  This is caused by the surgical dissection that causes the fat in this area to be damaged.  The effect is to expose the zygomatic arch due to the loss of fat.  This deformity is very damaging because it will be difficult for people speaking to you to hold their eyes on yours during conversation.  That little bit of fat serves a very important function which is to help hold the gaze on the eyes.  Please be careful out there.