Hairline Lowering Surgery? (photo)

After hairline lowering surgery I am experiencing very darkened under eye area. What can i do to get rid of it? It's very distressing because I already had heavy bags under my eyes and now it darkened by settled blood making me look even older than i am. Please help!!!

Hairline Lowering

+2

The temporary swelling you describe can occur after a hairline lowering procedure. With all do respect I suggest that you contact your surgeon. I'll never understand why patients ask questions immediately after surgery on this forum. If I was your surgeon, I'd want you to call me.

Dark circles

+1

Causes and Etiology of Dark Circles under Eyes
1. Thin Translucent Lower Eyelid Skin
Thin skin leads to the vessels under the skin giving a blue hue to the lower eyelid. The increased subcutaneous vascular plexus may be superficial, within, or deep to the muscle. The skin is usually pale. This is seen in children with allergies and in hay fever and adults who have thin skin. These are known as ÔÇťallergic shiners".  Food allergies or sensitivities can also contribute to dark circles As we age, skin and the fat pad under the eyes becomes thinner, causing blood vessels to become noticeable. This gives the appearance of dark circles. Sun damage can make it worse because it weakens skin.
2. Blue Veins Around Eyes
  Blue veins on the lower eyelid can occur at any age, but society believes it is related to the aging process. It can be seen in families at the age of 13.
It is usually seen in fair haired patients in the forty year olds. Most it occurs bilaterally and usually the vessels measure 3-4 mm in diameter.
They can be multiple in the lower eyelids. The veins also can be seen in the temple area.
3. Eyelid Skin Pigmentation
Excessive lower eyelid skin pigmentation (dermal melanocytosis) can start at any time in life, but is more common in patients
with Fitzpatrick type IV to VI.  It is a real problem with patients who have a genetic background from the Southeast Asian community.
They tend to have dark circles at a younger age and get progressively worse with aging.  Pulling the lower eyelid skin down to the cheek,
the darkness travels with the lower eyelid skin is an indication of eyelid pigmentation problems. Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation secondary to allergy, rubbing is also a cause of excessive lower eyelid pigmentation. The use of woods lamp may differentiate from vascular problems from pigmentation problems. Some diseases can also be the cause: Iron Deficiency Anemia, Erythema Dyschromicum Perstan, and Congenital Nevus of Ota
4. Hollowing or protuberant fat pads.
In most office situations and in malls and stores, the lighting is always from the top. Therefore pseudo-herniated fat of the lower eyelids or Hollowing of the nasal jugular groove medially secondary to aging cast a shadow making the lower eyelids appear like dark circles
5. Genetics
Dark circles under the eyes can run in families. They tend to be more noticeable in people with fair skin or deep-set eyes. The cause may be one of the conditions listed above.

David Ellis MD FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon
Art of Facial Surgery

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairline lowering procedure and bruising

+1

It looks like you have residual bruising from yoru brow surgery. If this was recently done, then you should give it more time to heal.

Surgical Hairline Lowering for Tall Forehead

+1

Congratulations on getting your hairline lowered! This is often a very nice procedure to enhance your look and make you look younger, so hang in there and get through the healing process. Regarding the bruising, any forehead procedure can cause bruising in the under eye area and it can be frustrating. Be patient. Take Arnica tablets. Use topical Arnica. Apply makeup. Keep your head elevated. Warm compresses and gentle massage might help also if your surgeon indicates this is OK. It will go away!  -Dr. Capone

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising on lids after forehead surgery

+1

such as yours is very common.  Warm compresses can help it dissipate faster and if it persists, there are lasers that can also be used.  Usually, time alone, if you are patient enough, will take care of it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Hairline lowering surgery

+1

The darkness under your eye looks like a fairly recent minor hematoma.  If your surgery was in the past few weeks, blood settling under your eye is common.  Sometimes the pigment changes and the darkness can persist for a few months  If it is longer than that, IPL or Starblaster cream can help.  Your surgeon should be able to answer these questions for you.

Good luck!

David Alessi, MD

Blood pigment

+1

After surgery, bruising is almost a certainty. The bruising can last for 2-3 weeks to resolve. However, blood products [iron] can have prolonged pigment deposits that can take a couple months to resolve. You do not mention how far postop you are but if its less then 2 weeks please still be patient.

If your are 3-4 weeks out or longer, either you have to be very patient [a few months] for this to resolve, or you could consider IPL ["photofacial"] treatments to accelerate the process.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon