Is Hairline Lowering a Specialty?

Hi! I was wondering if surgeons specialize in hairline reduction or is it something any cosmetic surgeon can claim to do? I just happened to notice some surgeons claim to perform the procedure but it is not on the list of procedures they do perform. I'm just scared that a particular surgeon might be messing around with me and I just need advice. Thank you to all who respond.

Hairline Advancement vs. Transplant. Who's the right surgeon?

+3

Certainly there are surgeons who do a lot more hair transplants and hair line advancements than others.  In the Northern Cali area Sheldon Kabaker is the grandfather of this sort of work.   He's in Oakland.

It can be competative for cosmetic surgeons of all types and we all want to work, however, I don't think you would be mislead by someone who had never done the procedure.  That being said, if said surgeon can't produce some evidence that they have performed an advancement successfully and you're unsure you should seek another consult. 

The advancment does require some skill and experience, so in that respect, yes you should seek someone who performs that as part of their practice.  An experienced surgeon should talk to you about all of your options.  I agree with the other surgeons on this page that hair transplantation should be discussed with you. 

Best of luck

Dr. Chase Lay

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairline Lowering?

+2

No, hairdline  lowering is not a specialty.  However, like all plastic surgical procedures,  you will find physicians who have more experience/expertise than others in the particular procedure you are contemplating. If you do your due diligence you will be able to find the surgeons  who have the experience by requesting to see their work and/or  by meeting/ talking with their patients who have had similar work done.

Hairline Lowering

+2

Over 20 years ago we wrote a medical textbook on Aesthetic Surgery of the Scalp, which included the description of techniques to improve hairline position. Although transplants and flaps can be used to lower the hairline, we feel that the best technique, achieving the most natural results, is the irregular trichophytic incision with direct advancement of the hairline ( a technique described in that textbook). In a patient with a very tight scalp expansion is sometimes necessary.

Hair restoration surgery, hairline lowering, and follicular grafting are not performed by every cosmetic surgeon

+2

Hair restoration surgery, hairline lowering, and follicular grafting are not performed by every cosmetic surgeon.  It requires a separate set of skills and experience to perform. 

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairline lowering specialist

+2

Surgeons who claim to do procedures that lower a hairline should be able to show examples of their experience. Not every cosmetic surgeon does work that can accomplish a sophisticated hairline lowering. Hairline lowering or forehead reduction are terms to describe procedures that do just that, lower a hairline (or reduce the height of the forehead). It can be done sometimes with a one stage scalp advancement operation that has been described by as a reverse trichophytic brow lift . In my opinion this is the most efficient and cost effective way to get nearly instantaneous cosmetic results. There are multiple subtle nuances that distinguish this approach. Not all patients are good candidates for this quick and economical approach to correct a tall forehead. With some exceptions it is done mostly for women who do not have ongoing hair loss. For those who have tight scalps or those who need a great amount of hairline lowering, a 2 stage operation involving a period of tissue expansion of the scalp works well.

Alternatively, follicular unit hair transplants can be used to correct the entire problem or to supplement the hairline lowering scalp advancement procedure. The transplant method alone cannot move as much hair as the advancement procedure and takes over a year for the result to be appreciated . However, if enough work is done, usually at least two sessions, very natural and undetectable results can be attained. The advancement procedure does not work well when advancing the downward growing temple hair. Grafts work better for moving the temple points forward. This is usually not needed.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair lime lowering

+2
It would be nice to know a little more detail about your concerns in order to answer this question. One of the most effective ways to lower the hairline is by getting a hair transplant. You should go to a plastic surgeon who specializes in hair tranplants. Lowering your hair line through this method can give a more natural results without visible scarring.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairline can be lowered with a browlift

+1

For patients with a high forehead, it is often best to place the incision along the hairline. The hairline can be lowered if necessary along with lifting the brow, or without. An plastic surgeon experienced in facial rejuvenation should be able to do this, but it is not the most common way so not everyone has equal experience.

Richard Baxter, MD