Time Off Work After Breast Augmentation?

Im a Hairdresser, Will 8 Days Be Enough Time off After Breast Aug?

Time off after a breast augmentation

For a hairdresser, 8 days should be enough time to take off after a breast augmentation. Sometimes the weight of the blowdryer can be uncomfortable at first, but you should be able to do most of your hairstyling work. For patients who perform office work, only about 3 days off of work is needed.

Regardless of your occupation, you should avoid heavy lifting or strenuous activity with your arms for about 4-6 weeks if your implants are placed under the pectoral muscle.

Dr.Bruno

Time Off Work after Breast AugmentationSurgery

On average, I ask patients to take off 1 week after breast augmentation surgery.  For some professions (such as yours), I may suggest a going back to work with a lighter workload (or in your case, having someone else do the blowdrying, etc.. that would involve the pectoralis muscle).  Ideally, I like my patients not to lift anything heavy or do things ( like blowdrying) that contract the pectoralis musle for at least 2 weeks.

Recovery Post Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
I suggest speaking with your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding your schedule and return to work. Good luck.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Ask your surgeon

You should plan to be off work for up to 5-7 days, although this can vary from person to person depending on their recovery rate and how physically demanding your work is. Please ask your surgeon for their advice as it may be different.

Recovery following breast augmentation

Most patients are able to resume most everyday activities, including work that is not physically demanding in less than a week, even if the implants are placed under the muscle.  For a hairdresser, 8 days off from work should be adequate, however you should avoid vigorous activities with your arms (as with blow-drying) for several weeks following surgery.  

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast augmentation

Recovery after breast augmentation depends to some extent on the technique used and the location of the breast implants. Subpectoral augmentation may be more painful than subglandular placement of the implants. In most cases patients are allowed to return to full activity after 2 weeks.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD