Hair Trauma After Extensions: Will my Hair Grow Back?

I have a scab in the middle of my head from wearing hair extensions. The extensions were so tight i took them out after 3 days. My scalp was bloody, itchy and flaky. Days later my hair began to fall out. My scalp looks like it is healing but as it heals more hair falls out of the area where the scab is located.

Will my hair grow back? I never where my hair this tight this is the first time I have ever experienced anything like this. My hair is generally healthy and thick.

Hair loss after extensions

+2

The hair loss you had after this isolated experience should be temporary.  Just be sure not to wear your hair too tight.  Over time, this can cause significant and permanent hair loss. We have treated many a patient with "traction alopecia."  Hair transplantation using micrografts/Follicular Unit Transplantation provides natural, excellent results.  If the hair still has not returned, please make an in-person consultation with an experienced hair transplantation surgeon near you.  We have an excellent office in Houston. Good luck!

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Hair Loss Due to Trauma/Shock - Possible Telogen Effluvium

+1

There is a high likelihood your hair will grow back. It sounds like you are experiencing shock loss (Telogen effluvium) due to the effect of trauma to your scalp. This condition may last up to 6 months. I recommend you visit your local dermatologist for an evaluation and management. After the trauma and inflammation has settled down, topical minoxidil may be useful. But, again, you should consult your dermatologist.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon