Can Hair Transplat Be Done over Rough Lined-scars? (photo)

I had a brain tumor when I was 4. It has left a rough lined-scar that starts from the back of my head and goes up about 2 inches and I have been hiding it for 16 years now because I'm so ashamed of it. Is it possible to get hair transplant on a rough scar like I do?

Hair Transplants over Rough Scalp Scars

+2

Transplants are one alternative to camouflage your scars, but grafts may not grow well in scars with poor circulation. Consider excision of the scar to eliminate the bald area.

Hair transplants for scar camouflage

+2
Considering the location and the direction of this scar, hair transplants might be the best solution. Your case might be one that would favor the FUE approach for donor harvesting.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant to Correct Scars

+1

I specialize in the repair of obvious and/or disfiguring scars. It is likely that FUE hair transplant would do a nice job of concealing the scar with only a couple hundred grafts. Of course, we would need to see you for a consultation to assess the scar in case an excision of the tissue would be best prior to performing a transplant.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Rough Lined Scars and Transplants

+1

More than likely, the best approach would be an excision first of the scar, followed 6 months later with hair grafts if there is some residual scarring.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplantation to hide scarring

+1

You do have two options: excise the scar or hair transplantation to camouflage the scar.  it would be best if you came in for an in-person consultation so that you can be properly examined and your options can be presented to you.  As noted, the transplanted hairs may not take as well in the scar tissue bed. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants in Scars

+1

Hair transplants are often used to cover scars on the scalp.  One problem can be that the hair transplant doesn't take as well in the scarred skin.  An option would be to excise the scar and transplant after the incision has healed.  There are definite options to help with your scalp--consult a provider in your area.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon