Can Hair Transplants Look Natural? What Areas Can Be Used as Donor Hair?

Fine Hairs are needed at the sides of my forehead to make it appear that my forehead is less wide than it actually is. I prefer not to use the back of my scalp as the donor site. Are there any other candidates for this? Like maybe leg hair or even armpit hair?

Natural-Looking Hair Transplant Technique

Hair transplants can look natural when done the right way after seeing a hair restoration specialist. Body hair can be used to transplant hair, but in general hair from the lower sides of the scalp tends to work very well for hair transplants. The problem with body hair is that it grows the same as it does on the area of the body it came from. You may want to research ACell MatriStem treatment (developed by my colleague Dr. Gary Hitzig in New York). If you are a candidate, during hair transplant, ACell + PRP injections have had great results in cloning hairs, rescuing dying hairs as well as protecting hair follicles and preventing further hair loss. 

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Other Areas of the body Be use to transplant hair to the sides of my forehead

Yes of course you can use other hairs, but the failure rate of growth and risk of unnatural appearance are high
If you only require a small amount of hairs, FUE scattered from all over your scalp will look great and almost impossible to notice if done correctly

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

Natural looking Hair Transplant

A good hair transplant should not look like you've had a hair transplant.  The hair harvested from the donor site which is normally used in the back of the head has small and large hairs.  It is possible during the procedure to sort these different hair types out so that the smaller fine hairs are used in the appropriate area.  Hair from other areas of the body would be a poor match.

Jack Fisher, MD

Hair Transplant Results

Adding hair to the front of your scalp can be done in a very natural way.  In my opinion, scalp hair is still the preferred donor site.  Typically leg or armpit hair is a second choice.  The hair in those areas are different texture and color as compared to your scalp hair and usually less dense to be able to fill the thin areas.  Feel free to send photos or discuss further with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Proper hair transplant technique will provide natural results

The follicular unit hair transplant technique provides the most natural results. Hair follicles are separated hair by hair and transplanted individually, so the scars are literally invisible.

The donor site is usually the back of the head, where most hair density and scalp laxity exists. However using follicular extraction method, other areas like back/chest hair can be used as donor sites.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Fine hairs for donors in the front of a hair transplant

The best hair, in my opinion, to use for the temple points are the hairs within the temple region harrvested in strips or by FUE. These hairs are ususally fine enough and, more imoortant, are the more likely to remain all your life compaired to finer hairs taken from  low in the classical donor area that might become victims of retrograde balding. Body hair would be a poor choice to transplant to the areas you describe unless it has the same qualities as your native temple hair.  

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Follicular Unit Extraction Enables the Use of Finer Donor Hairs

Yes, a hair transplant can appear so natural that it is undetectable. Follicular unit extraction (FUE) is an advanced hair transplant technique that enables the surgeon to use donor hairs outside the traditional mid-rear strip. When a patient is in need of finer hairs, usually in the case of hairline refinement or temple point construction, an FUE surgeon will harvest donor hairs from the nape of the neck, where the caliber of hair is naturally finer. Additionally, FUE surgeons who practice body hair transplant can use hair from the:

Legs (another area where hair is finer)

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair transplant can be Natural

I agree with you that having hairs implanted on the side of your scalp should make your forehead seem less wide. However , as to where to get the grafts from, that can only be done in a consultation. My associate, Dr Pistone is a world renowned hair transplant surgeon whose work creates a natural hairline- not like the 'old doll transplants'. You can see the pictures on The attached link under hair transplants . We have 8 offices in the area so we can tell you in person the best donor areas. The areas you mentioned- leg and armpit - do not have the same texture and do not provide for appropriate hair density. The consultation is free for viewers of real self . Good luck !

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Donor sites for hair transplantation surgery

Alex, thank you for your question. The alternate sites you mentioned in your post (armpits & leg) are not good sites for harvesting hair.  The density of hair is far, far too low to provide the numbers you will need for your hairline. The quality of the hair is not at all like your scalp hair.  You need to come into one of our local offices for an in-person consultation with an experienced hair transplantation surgeon.  When you look at our photos, you will get an idea of what we can achieve and how well the donor scar heals.   Our trichophytic closures will show just how imperceptible the scar can be.  

Allan J. Parungao, MD

You can use your leg hair or armpit hair for donor hair BUT

You can use your leg hair or armpit hair for donor hair but it probably will not look natural.
The best source of hair for hair transplant is scalp hair.  Scalp hair to scalp hair is a better match than armpit to scalp.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon