How Much Hair Can Be Transplanted in a Single Surgical Visit?

Is there a limit on the amount of hair I can transplant in a single surgical visit? Is this determined in the initial consult? What factors help determine how much hair to transplant?

Hair Restoration: Calculating How Many Hair Grafts You’ll Need

+1

The limit on the amount of hair transplanted in one visit depends on many factors, mainly if you are getting a follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS), follicular unit extraction (FUE) or a more advanced method of FUE, such as body to head transplantation (BHT). Knowing the total amount of grafts you need aids in the decision of which hair restoration technique you require due to limitations of certain tools and technology. In other words, a person with extreme hair loss will need several thousand hair grafts. This article expands on how to determine the number of grafts you would need.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Units Transplanted During One Surgery

+1

There are a number of factors that determine how many units should be transplanted during your procedure.  We can harvest up to as many 5,000 units from a donor strip.  This does not mean that we will or should transplant every unit.  Typically speaking, we wouldn't transplant more than 4,000-5,000 units in one session.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant Sessions

+1

Traditionally, there are up to approximately 5000 follicular units that can be harvested for transplant.  That does not mean that all of these should be done in one session or at all. This depends on a number of factors including age and how thick or dense the donor hair is.   Modern  hairline design requires careful study of and planning for an individual patient to attain a natural result.  Sometimes it is "safer" to break this up into 2 or more sessions.  Find a provider that offers you a tailored, well thought out design and defer to their recommendations.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplantation, baldness treatment,

+1

A megasession for hair transplantation can oftentimes involve the transplantation of 2000 to 3000 grafts at a time, but this will always be based on the density of the donor site( from the posterior scalp).  These procedures are always done under local anesthesia and can be performed in a doctor's office if properly qualified for this type of surgery.  Good luck.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

How much hair can be transplated at a single session?

+1

The number of follicles (amount of hair) that can be transplanted at any one session typically maxes out between 3,500 - 5,000 follicles or grafts.  The exact number will be determined by the transplant method and the density of the donor region...and of course the amount of hair required at the recipient site.  All of these can be discussed during the consultation.

3000 + grafts per hair transplant.

+1
Most hair clinics no longer have the limitations of performing only 2000 grafts like they did a decade ago. Most hair teams of adequate size average 3000 to 4000 grafts per session as a maximum output if this is what the patient requires.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

How many grafts can be performed.

+1

I will perform up to  3500 follicular unit grafts in a session.  I am no longer doing the flap procedure for routine male pattern baldness having first done them in 1975. Even though a great amount of hair can be moved in a short period of time, I have seen too many great results deteriorate with advancing male pattern baldness over the years.  Follicular unit grafts are, in my opinion the present surgical treatment of choice. And even then,  this surgery should be considered with realistic expectations and planning for future hair loss. Some clinics have done as many as 5000 grafts on rare occasions where the donor and recipient situation and the the staffing  allow it.  It is not unreasonable to have 500 to 3500 grafts done in one session, however  the conditions have to merit it..

As a general rule, I would generally  do large numbers of grafts in a single session on men over 30 who have good donor hair, a favorable family history and enough baldness to to receive large numbers of grafts. I truly prefer to work on men over 45 who have grooming problems and would be identified as bald or balding. It is , however , the younger man who wants as much hair moved as can be done and  is the one more likely to inquire about  and have hair restoration surgery. Of course there are other scenarios and each patient has to individually evaluated and have a specific plan. This is often determined at the initial consultation.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplants vs. Fleming-Mayer flap.

+1

The most hair that is usually transplanted by grafting is 2000 grafts. While that sounds like a lot, a Fleming-Mayer flap transfers 8-10,000 in one piece of "sod" vs. "blades of grass". The hair with transplants falls out and you don't get the normal length of hair for 1 year. With the flap the hair doesn't fall out so it is there the day of the procedure. Most surgeons only do transplants-I have done both procedures for 35 years and give patients the pros and cons of both and let them decide. I, as well as other hair transplant surgeons make more money doing grafts. You will never hear about a Mercedes from a Ford dealer. Let the buyer do his homework.