Am I A Candidate For a Hair Transplant Where I Have Scarring From an Accident? (photo)

I got into an accident 10 years ago, which caused scarring around my front hairline. Ive been wearing my hair parted to the side to cover up the scar tissue and bald patch, and I was just wondering if I would be a good candidate for a hair transplant on this area?

Hair Transplant for Scarring from Previous Accident

+2

Hair transplants can be done to treat the baldness secondary to your accident, but grafts do not grow as well in scarred tissue and it is difficult to to achieve normal uniform density  that matches the rest of the scalp in a female patient. Moving the adjacent hair-bearing scalp after excising the scar would give you a natural result will total freedom of styling.

Hair transplant for scar

+2

As long as there is no loss of the relatively normal thickness of the skin, the scarred area should be able to support hair being transplanted there.  Given the location, size etc, I agree with Drs Kabaker and Parungao that hair transplantation is a very good option with an excellent chance of significant improvement in the appearance of the area..

Daniel Berg, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair transplants to disguise scalp scar

+2

Hair transplants should work very well for your particular problem. One could consider a scalp advancement procedure but it appears that you have multiple directions of hair flow that would likely leave a detectible scar. Transplants can be placed to exactly match the existing hair directions.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplants into areas of scarring

+2

Yes, we can place grafts in your scar.  This works really well.  We do know that hair grows a little less reliably in an area of scar, but we have seen awesome results using follicular unit transplants.  In order to get all of your options, please contact your local hair transplant surgeon for an in-person consultation.  At that time, you can learn about surgical and non surgical options available to you.  Best of luck to you.  Dr. P

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Hair does not grow well in scar tissue, consider a flap to replace scar tissue

+1

There are many methods of hair transplantation.  Wanted them RFUE and another can be a surgical flap.  Grafts can be taken with as few as one hair follicle or multiple follicles.  The quality of the hair, the number of follicles per unit and the location in which the hair is to be placed are all important determinants in the final result.  While it is a common misconception that hair can and should be taken from any location, taking appropriate hair from an appropriate location is key to success.  For instance, one cannot always use hair from a beard to replace a frontal hairline.  The orientation in which Harris placed is also important.  If the frontal hairline is being created then it is important to make sure that hairs are aligned in the correct orientation.  The way the hair is also laid down, for example a staggered pattern versus a straight line will also change the quality of the result.  You should certainly visit with a surgeon who does many of these types of transplantations as well as offers multiple options for hair restoration.  The cost can vary by geographic locale.  In general they can arrange from $7000-$25,000.  When you go over consultation ask for before and after photographs.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Hair Transplant for Scarring

+1

Yes you are a good candidate for a hair transplant .  It is not difficult to put hair in and around a scar to reduce visability. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Hair Transplant with Scarrin

+1

Hair transplants can certainly be used to restore hair to your areas of
concern.  The goal is to achieve the greatest percentage of hair
regrowth, while also achieving natural appearing results-  something
that in fact is possible when performed properly.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

FUE Hair Transplant To Repair Scarring

+1

Yes, hair transplant is an option to correct the hair loss from your scar. Follicular unit extraction, or FUE, is your best option due to the fact that it leaves nominal scarring in the recipient and donor sites, and donor hair is not restricted to the mid-rear scalp. This means donor hair can be taken from the nape of the neck (where hair is finer—ideal for hairline creation) or, with body hair transplant, donor hair can be taken from almost anywhere on the body. FUE is commonly used to repair linear scars resultant from strip harvesting, and has a great capacity to repair other types of scar cases.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon