Hair Transplant If Not Balding?

I have frizzy African-American hair and am tired of it. If at all possible, I'd like to have the hair from my legs - which grows straight and is the same thickness as the hair on my head - transplanted to my head, replacing the frizzy hair that grows on my head with the straight hair from my legs. Even though I have no problems with balding. Is this at all possible? Thank you. (Note: Please, no advice relating to salon treatments. I'm only asking about hair transplants. Thanks).

You can't straighten your hair with surgery

You can't straighten your hair with surgery. You can transplant hair from your arms or legs to your scalp in theory but the results will be poor and impractical.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant to Change Hair Texture

Body hair transplant is a great procedure for the severely bald. But with a full head of scalp hair, BHT is unadvised. With hair transplant, the harvested hair needs a bald recipient site to be implanted to. If you have a full head of hair, you have no recipient site. In addition, replacing an entire scalp would require tens of thousands of grafts, which the legs alone would not provide. Your goal is thus not possible. You should look into chemical treatments for coarse, frizzy hair.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Transplant leg hair to improve frizzy scalp

It is technically possible to tranplant leg hair to the scalp, but with a full head of existing hair, there would be no place to put it. You should rely on hair stying to get the best appearance. Avoid processes that can damage the hair and cause it to be lost such as harsh relaxers and use of extentions.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon