Hair Thinning and Damage, What are my Options?

I have always had gorgeous thick waist length hair. 8 months ago, about 1 year after a major traumatic event that caused day and night severe stress. And a bad "highlight job"in this time that damaged my hair and I bought a new home that has well water rather than city water. Now I have thin, shorter hair. Growing slowly but still fine and unmanageable. I stopped using the well water in my hair 3 months ago.I had complete Blood work up,all good. Whats happening, will I get my my hair back?!

Female Hair Loss

+2

There are many different things that can cause hair loss, some genetic, some physiological, and some psychological. While female pattern baldness (largely a result of aging and hormonal changes) is the leading cause of hair loss in women, severe stress is another cause. Others include: sleep deprivation, poor diet (vitamin deficiency), iron deficiency, pregnancy, untreated thyroid disorder, telogen effluvium. Since your blood work rules a couple of these out, I would recommend consulting a dermatologist or hair loss specialist. In the meanwhile, try taking a B-complex vitamin to help you cope with any residual stress, and a daily multivitamin if you aren’t taking one already. Also, make sure you get plenty of sleep.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Stress/trauma induced hair loss

+2

A common cause of hair loss in women is telogen effluvium. This condition results from an abrupt shift of large numbers of anagen (growing) hairs into telogen hairs (hairs that are in the "resting" state).  It is not unusual for women with telogen effluvium to lose more than 300 hairs per day.  This form of alopecia generally begins about 3 months after a major illness or other stress (like surgery, giving birth, rapid weight loss, nutritional deficiency, high fever, or hemorrhage) or hormonal derangement (like thyroid dysfunction) or even some medications.  If the cause of telogen effluvium is removed, hair loss lasts for up to 6 months after removal of the trigger.  In order for you to get a proper diagnosis, you need an in-person consultation with a hair transplantation surgeon. We have offices all over the country and would love to discuss your surgical and non-surgical options.  It won't hurt for you to be seen first by your primary care doctor to rule out some of the medical causes of hair loss, like thyroid disease.  

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon