Alternative Hair Restoration Procedure?

Is there such thing as a hair replacement sugery other than transplanting hair from behind the head to the bald spot? I was just wondering because I have 2 bald spots on my scalp.

Re: Alternative Hair Restoration Procedure

+1

If you are concerned about not having enough follicles on your head, hair restoration can also be performed with follicles from body regions like the face, legs, chest, abdomen and arms.

However, it is important to realize that follicles from these areas are quite delicate. Also you are dealing with highly visible regions that require high standards in wound healing to avoid the risk of visible scarring. Therefore, these needs are best addressed with Advanced FUE (as opposed to basic techniques and practices) performed with uGraft (which is a methodology that I developed for these challenges).

Here is a patient who underwent a hair restoration with beard hair follicles and head hair.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Replacement Alternative for Bald Spots

+1

There are individuals that have taken hair from the chest and other areas and placed them on the scalp.  The problem is in most people that is a bad match. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Alternatives to Hair Transplant

+1

First question to ask is if the bald spots are the result of normal male-pattern hair loss (bald spot on the crown and another up front) or some other more atypical pattern.  If it is some atypical pattern, you have to think about other causes of hair loss, like Alopecia Areata.  Alopecia Areata is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks the hair follicles.  In extreme cases, the person can lose literally all the hair on their body (alopecia totalis).  The bald patches in Alopecia Areata tend to leave the scalp with a moth-eaten pattern.  Transplanting hair into these bald patches doesn't work as the problem is the scalp and not the hair.  Whereas in typical male-pattern hair loss the problem is the hair and not the scalp.  If this is not alopecia areata, direct scalp reduction techniques work well for isolated areas of loss.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alternates to hair transplantation to fix small bald spots

+1

In general terms there are alternatives to the most prevalent approach to hair transplantation, the strip harvesting of follicular unit grafts. There is a growing number of doctors who have expertise with FUE, the extraction of individual hairs with tiny circular punches.

The flap operation which I first performed in 1975 no longer, in my opinion, is a good alternative for the treatment for male pattern baldness.  A hairpiece is another alternative which obviously is not surgical.

In your case, of 2 small bald spots, one must determine the cause. A biopsy should be done first. In some cases depending on the location, size and scalp laxity, a simple excision of the bald spot(s) can work if there is good adjacent hair.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alternative hair restoration procedure

+1

I agree with the previous expert posters as to flap options. But I think you were asking about a non self transfer? If I am correct, Did you mean cloning? Cloning is on the horizon, maybe 10 years from now. If you can wait. I would not. I would do the options available today by a expert hair transplanter.

From MIAMI Dr. B

The Neograft Procedure MAy be a Good Option for you

+1

Hi there-

The Neograft technology allows an appropriately trained plastic surgeon or dermatologist to transfer ONE FOLLICULAR UNIT at a time from ANY area of your head (or anywhere else on your body for that matter) to the areas of thinning or baldness.

There are very few of these machines in the United States at the present time, but our early success has been impressive, and being able to avoid the scar and the surgery of the older technique is a significant step forward.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Hair Transplant Alternatives

+1

First. to answer your specific question, The Fleming-Mayer transposition flap is another method of hair replacement surgery. Before considering surgery, you need a good consultation regarding the etiology of your hair loss. Patchy areas of loss can be caused by a condition called Alopecia Areata, which may not be immediately treated with surgery.

Search out the cause

+1

Greetings,
There are other options in addition to follicular unit grafting surgery. It is unusual to have two discrete bald spots as part of classic androgenic alopecia. I would be concerned that your hair loss is the result of a medical condition, such as alopecia areata. In this case, medical treatment may be necessary. Should surgery be required, sometimes simple excision of the bald area can be performed. Flaps are another option though you should be careful as they can create unnatural results. Your first step is speaking with a dermatologist or a surgeon who is versed in diagnosing and treating hair loss.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is an alternative for hair restoration

+1

The Fleming-Mayer Flap was developed 30 years ago and has several advantages over hair transplants. You should research both procedures and make sure that you are dealing with an expert with each. Flap surgery should only be done by someone specifically trained to do this since the consequences of bad work can be more severe.