Best Hair Removal Laser for a Latin Girl?

I want to start a laser hair removal treatment. But I am not sure which is the best laser for me. My hair is dark and my background is latin. My skin is kind of similar to Penelope Cruz. I read the YAG-ND is good for dark skin, but is not that effective. I added my pic. Thanks.

Laser Hair Removal for a Latin Girl

+2

The best laser for people with olive-colored complexions is the Nd:YAG with a 1064 wavelength, such as the Elite, manufactured by Cynosure Inc.

Nd: YAG - Best Laser For All Skin Types

+2

The Nd:YAG, as the one in the Sciton laser, is the best for all skin types and if programmed correctly will be very effective. My suggestion would be to avoid the Diode for skin that tans easily as it can cause Hyperpigmentation of  the skin and be very difficult to reverse.

Steve Laverson, MD

Nd:YAG laser for hair removal in darker skin types

+2

Agree with the other docs. 1064 Nd:YAG is the safest device for darker skin types. Efficacy is similar to other types of lasers. There are a number of good Nd:YAG lasers from different manufacturers. As always - try to find an experienced office to avoid complications.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Best laser for hair removal in darker skin

+2

In my office, we use the GentleYAG laser by Candela which has many treatment options for most skin colors. The GentleYAG effectively treats all skin types, including tanned skin. The skin is further protected during treatment by Candela’s Dynamic Cooling Device (DCD) technology where cryogen is sprayed onto the skin a fraction of a second before each laser pulse.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal...

+2

My Physician Assistants treat their patients with our Cutera 1064 Nd:Yag laser and our Cutera Prowave 770 (Diode laser).  Both are excellent choices for hair removal.  On average, you should expect to need 4 to 8 treatments usually 4 to 6 weeks apart.

Good luck. 

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Laser Hair Removal For A Latin Girl

+2

We use the Nd:Yag in our office for patients with your skin tone and even darker with excellent results.  I'm not sure from your question whether or not you have tried this or have heard that it is not effective.  Laser Hair Removal is a process which requires several treatments depending on the areas involved and your individual response to each treatment.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist