Hair Removal for Fine Abdomen and Chest Hair on Light Skin

I am a 22 year old female and have hair growing all over my abdomen (especially down the midline and the midline below my belly button) and all over my chest. The hair is fine/thin and black. My skin is quite light. I would like to permanently remove this hair as it is rather embarrassing! What would be the most effective treatment? IPL or laser?

Dark Hair and Light Skin Laser Hair Removal

+1

I would recommend doing laser hair removal to eliminate any unwanted hair.  I use GentleLase by Candela in my office and fair skinned patients with dark hair see the best results with this type of laser.  For optimal results, you would need approximately 4-6 treatments spaced four, six or eight weeks apart depending on the area on the area of the body being treated.  Do not have the laser done on tanned skin.  Performing laser hair removal on areas that are tan may cause hyper-pigmentation.

Laser Hair Removal for Light Skin and Dark Hair

+1

You are an ideal candidate for laser hair removal. IPL treatments take a lot longer than newer laser hair removal technologies, which are generally some form of a laser: YAG, Alexandrite, Diode. In my office we have both the Syneron diode system, and the Cutera YAG laser. Both are effective treatments, and we often combine them when doing hair removal to target different hairs and growth cycles. While we did IPL hair removal treatments for years and they were good, laser treatments like the Syneron and Cutera are faster and more effective overall. Just remember that it will be multiple treatments for best results and you will need to come back for maintenance treatments a few times a year to treat new hairs.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Laser Hair Removal for Dark Hair and Light Skin

+1

You are the perfect candidate for Laser Hair Removal.  Please know that it will take multiple sessions to remove the hair and not every single hair may go, but I think you will be very pleased.  We use the GentleLase by Candela with excellent results for patients like you!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Light skin and dark hair are ideal for Laser hair removal

+1

The contrast of dark hair with light skin is ideal for optimal Laser hair removal. Lasers create a beam of highly concentrated light that penetrates deep into the skin where it delivers a controlled amount of therapeutic heat. This light energy is absorbed by the pigment located in the hair follicles. The laser pulses for a fraction of a second, just long enough to destroy numerous follicles at a time and leaves the surrounding skin unaffected. We use the GentleMAX laser by Candela which is an alexandrite laser that is quite successful for hair removal.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

The light sheer duet is excellent at removing large ares of hair quickly

+1

Laser is better than IPL at hair removal and they both work better on lighter skin and darker coarse hair. Having fine hair may reduce your chances of true permanence. Treatments should be one once er month, skin should not be tanned. Typically 4-6 treatments are needed but you may need more due to the fine hair.

Doris Day, MD