My Hair Has Been Pulled out from Wearing a Ponytail All the Time. Will It Grow Back

I stopped wearing ponytails and bought womans rogain..Will the pulled hair ever grow back?

Traction Alopecia is permanent

Tightly braiding hair, wearing heavy extensions or ponytails can cause traction alopecia (hair loss due to pulling). However, it is wise to see a dermatogist or hair transplant surgeon to rule out other causes of hair loss. If hair loss is due to traction alopecia a trial of 6-9 months of Rogaine (minoxidil) is worthwhile but results are generally suboptimal. Repair can be satisfactory with hair transplantation but avoiding the problem is best.

Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Ponytail May Cause Traction Alopecia

It sounds like you may be experiencing some degree of traction alopecia, which is a hair loss condition that results from the frequent forceful pulling of certain hairstyles. Whether or not your hair will grow back depends on the severity of the condition. I would suggest consulting a hair loss specialist to determine the gravity of your hair loss. If Rogaine proves futile, a great solution for this type of hair loss is FUE hair transplant using uGraft.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Options after Hair Loss from Ponytails

Traction allopecia is a problem that develops from pulling or tugging on  hair over a  period of time.  It can be permanent but responds well to hair transplant.  I usually put my patients on minoxidil first to help stop any further loss and prevent shedding of the hair during the transplant process.  I recommend an in depth consultation in your area or you can submit photos to my web site. Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss after wearing tight ponytails

The loss you have experienced is often temporary.  Be aware that over the long term, wearing a hairstyle that is too tight (like weaves or braids) can cause "traction alopecia."  This is often permanent.  Topical Rogaine can help stop the ongoing hair loss.  If you need an increase in density to cover bare areas of scalp, then hair transplantation surgery is in order.  So that you can get a diagnosis and all of your options, please make an in-person consultation with an experienced hair transplantation surgeon near you.  We have done hair restoration surgery on many a patient with traction alopecia and have seen excellent results.  The hair is permanent and natural. The donor site scar is nearly imperceptible.  The procedure is done in our office, under local anesthetic, and in a single session. Best of luck, Dr. P

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon