Hair Loss 5 Years Post Breast Aug. Correlation? Causes? Options?

Hi, I had a Breast Augmentation 5 years ago. Since then I have lost over 1/2 my hair. I have been to 3 Dr.'s including a Dermatologist. My blood work has come back "normal". 2 of the Dr.'s think that my hair loss is systimic. But have no solution for me. I am desperate to stop my hair loss and regrow my hair. I have no health issue. I am taking a low does (65mg) of Nature Thyroid. I am currently taking 0.25ml of progestrone and Diestrogen 1 x day. Any addvice would be appreciated! Shannon

Breast Augmentation and Hair Loss

+1

Hi Shannon. Sometimes undue shock or stress on the body can cause it to have adverse and unexpected reactions, including hair loss. But there are a great many hair loss causes, and considering that it has been 5 years since your surgery (and all your bloodwork is normal), your body should have recovered from the implants by now. It may be possible that the shock of the surgery caused an early and aggressive onset of female pattern baldness. I advise you to consult a hair restoration specialist as soon a possible and try using Rogaine in the meanwhile.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Any correlation between Breast Augmentation and Hair Loss?

+1

I do not think breast augmentation has anything to do with hair loss, so I agree with your doctors.  Some women respond to rogaine, but if it is genetic hair loss it can be very difficult to manage. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Hair loss 5 years after breast augmentation.

+1

While telogen effluvium can happen after surgery, it is hard to place the blame solely on having had a surgery.  If three dermatologists have checked you out and medically you seem to be fine, then perhaps you are suffering from female pattern hair loss. This is more common than you think. The next step for you would be an in-person consultation with a hair transplant surgeon.  We have had great success treating female pattern hair loss.  The results are natural and the donor scar can be imperceptible.  The procedure can be performed in a single session under local anesthetic and is done on an outpatient basis .Best of luck to you. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon