Hair Loss Treatments: Considering Finasteride

I'm 24 (5'4" and 160 lbs), this started when 18 yrs old. I am considering taking Finasteride, is it safe to take generic brands? I found one (Finpecia), but not sure if it's okay. Are there any significant difference between Propecia and generic brands? Also is it better to take 5mg or 1mg? Will taking 5mg provide better results? I can't ask a doctor in my locality, they don't know anything.

Finasteride to Treat Hair Loss

+1

Generic brands of finasteride should be perfectly safe. A 5mg dosage is the prescribed amount for the treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy and is far too much to treat hair loss. Studies show that .2mg per day of finasteride will decrease the concentration of DHT and stop hair loss. Propecia and other brands typically come in 1mg doses, so do not take more than that. Additionally, you should know that finasteride is only effective for stopping hair loss at the vertex of the scalp and will not affect the hairline. Finasteride will only work for as long as you take it; once you discontinue use, the hair will begin falling out again. The only permanent solution to hair loss is surgical hair transplantation.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Medical treatments for hair loss

+1

Propecia, also known as finasteride, is the trade name of a medicine used to treat androgenic alopecia, or Male Pattern Hair Loss.  It is important to remember that this is used to slow down or stop the ongoing hair loss associated with a hormone in the body known as dihydrotestosterone.  It will not add density to your thinning hair. This works remarkably well. Many patients just "give up" because they don't see results (in most cases, this means they don't see an increase in the amount of hair on their scalps).   In order to add density and provide coverage of your scalp, a hair transplantation surgery is needed.   In order to get the proper recommendations, you need to come in for an in-person consult.  Here, we can give you all of the options to consider.

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon