Is Hair Loss a Side Effect of an Endoscopic Brow Lift?

I have noticed very bare areas around the hair line where the stiches are. Would my doctor cut it like this or has the hair fallen out.10 strands of hair came out from the root around my stiches today (4th week). Is this normal and is it assured it will grow back? With regards to blow drying and colouring how long should I have waited? I guess 3 months for colouring. Is there anything I can take that will ensure faster hair growth? I appreciate all the excellent feedback about my operation.

+1

The hair loss at the portals of entry should be temporary.  Growth should return in a few months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Hair loss

+1

Yes there can be hair loss around the incision sites. If the roots are not damaged this is temporary and will return in 3-4 months

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Hair Loss After Endoscopic Browlift

+1

Endoscopic browlifts can result in some usually temporary hair loss around the incisions.  What I usually recommend is the application of Rogaine once daily, and consider using laser light therapy to further help stimulate blood flow to the area.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss can be a side effect of an endoscopic brow lift

+1

Hair loss can be a side effect of an endoscopic brow lift. Any areas where the incision was made may cause some of the hair follicles to be lost. Often it will come back, but can take several months. We usually recommend that people wait a month before coloring or treating their hair. Rogaine over the counter can be used for hair growth and Latisse, usually used for eyelash growth, can also be used on the incision to expedite the hair growth in those areas. But, these are off-label uses.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Hair loss is a possible side effect of any type of Brow Lift, face Lift or other procedure that places incisions within the hair bearing scalp.  You shopuld discuss this with your plastic and cosmetic surgeon as well as ways to encourage follicular re-growth.  

+1

Hair loss is unusual after endoscopic browlift surgery. Those areas could have been shaved or trimmed at the time of surgery. Alternatively, manipulation of the tissue around the incisions or cautery to stop bleeding can sometimes cause temporary hairloss. However, this usually resolves within a few months. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss around incision

+1

There are a few reasons that the area around the endoscopic incision seems bare.

It could be that your surgeon may have cut the hairs short, either on purpose or by accident. That just means with time, it will grow back.

Or it could be that due to the tension placed on the wounds with his retractors or use of cautery, the hair follicles may have been temporarily or possibly permanently damaged. Usually this "follicle shock" is temporary and the hair will return to its normal growth. You just need to be patient.

There is no way to accelerate this growth unfortunately. As far as hair dyeing and blow drying hair goes, it should be fine by a month.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon