Is Hair Loss a Common Side Effect After Neograft?

I recently had the Neograft procedure done, and about a week later began noticing a decent amount of hair loss. I'm of course very concerned because I did this procedure to have more hair, not less! Is this a common side effect? Is there anything I can do to help/stop it?

Hair loss is not uncommon after any hair transplant, not only using the neograft machine.

+2
The NeoGraft machine performs a type of hair restoration called Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).  Like any hair restoration procedure, telogen effluvium, or "shock loss" is not uncommon.  It tends to happen more in men in their 20's and in female patients. It can sometimes be related to the surgical technique used to create the sites in the recipient area, and can also be related to the amount of steroids the treating physician used in the fluids injected into the scalp during the procedure.  It is typically limited to 3-5 months, but occasionally lasts longer, and should be something your physician went over with you in detail prior to your procedure.

The Neograft machine is a machine that performs a type of hair restoration called Follicular Unit Extraction, the same way Oral B makes a machine to perform a procedure called Brushing Your Teeth.  An FUE procedure performed with the Neograft device is not a "Neograft" procedure any more than brushing your teeth with a sonic toothbrush is an "Oral B" procedure.

In terms of what you can do to about it at this point, I believe Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) would be your best option at this point.  The shock loss is due to the surgical "insult" your skin suffered as a result of the procedure.  The damage is done, as they say, so stimulating your hair to grow fuller and thicker with the LLLT may limit the extent of shock loss, and is likely your best bet at this point to grow your hair back as quickly as possible.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Possible after any hair transplant but very uncommon

+2

"shock hair loss" is reported to occur after any type of hair transplant. It has nothing to do with Neograft FUE procedure which allows for extraction of follicular units without creating an ugly linear scar. I have never seen any hair loss at the donor site after Neograft, and having been doing this type of procedure for almost 2 years now I also never seen any donor scars. As for the shock hair loss at the recepient site it may occur after any type of procedure because it is a side effect of grat PLACEMENT. It must be very rare - I have never seen it....but as mentioned above it is a reported risk. The good news is that it is usually a transient loss

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Hair loss after Neograft

+1
Its important to know if the hairloss is in the transplanted zone or in the donor zone (back of scalp).  Hair loss in the transplanted zone is possible after an FUE procedure and this is commonly called shock loss.  There are ways shock loss can be minimized for example making small recipient sites that are not too deep, combination of medications used in the tumescent fluid, etc.  However hair loss in the back of the scalp (donor zone) after an FUE procedure should not happen and this is usually due to inexperience of the team doing the procedure by using large punches, over extracting hair follicles, punching too deep, etc.  This creates too much vascular trauma in the scalp as well as inflammation and can result in loss of hair.  I see this commonly in my practice where patients come to me after having a procedure in other clinics that don't specialize in hair surgery. Most times it is not reversible and the patients donor supply becomes severley limited.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shock loss is common after a hair transplant

+1

Hair loss after any surgery is common, known as shock loss. Schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss this if extreme hair loss continues.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair loss after a hair transplant with neograft

+1

Yes, like with all hair transplants this can happen.  It is known as shock loss. It is often not a permanent thing.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Shedding of hair after a Neograft hair transplant

+1

The Neograft procedure is a a follicular unit hair transplant using  particular harvesting and implanting devices. The result is , like any other method of hair transplantation, dependent on the skill and surgical practices of the hair transplant team. Shedding of hair after a transplant is a known after affect and represents some change in the scalp circulation called "shock loss". Not only is it seen after hair transplants, it is common after other surgeries that involve the scalp such as face lifts and brow lifts. This type of loss is usually temporary and regrowth starts after  3 months. However, if you are at a stage of male pattern baldness where you are steadily losing hair, some of the shocked hairs may not come back as it was their fate to be lost. See you doctor to see if he/she recommends any medication that might slow down hair loss or hasten regrowth.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon