Is Hair Loss a Common Side Effect After Neograft?

I recently had the Neograft procedure done, and about a week later began noticing a decent amount of hair loss. I'm of course very concerned because I did this procedure to have more hair, not less! Is this a common side effect? Is there anything I can do to help/stop it?

Hair loss is not uncommon after any hair transplant, not only using the neograft machine.

The NeoGraft machine performs a type of hair restoration called Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).  Like any hair restoration procedure, telogen effluvium, or "shock loss" is not uncommon.  It tends to happen more in men in their 20's and in female patients. It can sometimes be related to the surgical technique used to create the sites in the recipient area, and can also be related to the amount of steroids the treating physician used in the fluids injected into the scalp during the procedure.  It is typically limited to 3-5 months, but occasionally lasts longer, and should be something your physician went over with you in detail prior to your procedure.

The Neograft machine is a machine that performs a type of hair restoration called Follicular Unit Extraction, the same way Oral B makes a machine to perform a procedure called Brushing Your Teeth.  An FUE procedure performed with the Neograft device is not a "Neograft" procedure any more than brushing your teeth with a sonic toothbrush is an "Oral B" procedure.

In terms of what you can do to about it at this point, I believe Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) would be your best option at this point.  The shock loss is due to the surgical "insult" your skin suffered as a result of the procedure.  The damage is done, as they say, so stimulating your hair to grow fuller and thicker with the LLLT may limit the extent of shock loss, and is likely your best bet at this point to grow your hair back as quickly as possible.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Possible after any hair transplant but very uncommon

"shock hair loss" is reported to occur after any type of hair transplant. It has nothing to do with Neograft FUE procedure which allows for extraction of follicular units without creating an ugly linear scar. I have never seen any hair loss at the donor site after Neograft, and having been doing this type of procedure for almost 2 years now I also never seen any donor scars. As for the shock hair loss at the recepient site it may occur after any type of procedure because it is a side effect of grat PLACEMENT. It must be very rare - I have never seen it....but as mentioned above it is a reported risk. The good news is that it is usually a transient loss

Hair loss after Neograft

Its important to know if the hairloss is in the transplanted zone or in the donor zone (back of scalp).  Hair loss in the transplanted zone is possible after an FUE procedure and this is commonly called shock loss.  There are ways shock loss can be minimized for example making small recipient sites that are not too deep, combination of medications used in the tumescent fluid, etc.  However hair loss in the back of the scalp (donor zone) after an FUE procedure should not happen and this is usually due to inexperience of the team doing the procedure by using large punches, over extracting hair follicles, punching too deep, etc.  This creates too much vascular trauma in the scalp as well as inflammation and can result in loss of hair.  I see this commonly in my practice where patients come to me after having a procedure in other clinics that don't specialize in hair surgery. Most times it is not reversible and the patients donor supply becomes severley limited.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Maybe

Hair loss after surgery may be due to shock hair loss or the shedding of transplanted hair.  It is not related to the tool or instrument used. "Neograft" tool is just another instrument in carrying out the FUE method of harvesting of hair.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft Hair Loss

During the first month after your NeoGraft procedure you can expect hair "shock" loss when the scabs of the grafting fall off.  This is completely normal.  Within three to four months you will notice hair growth and usually by six months most of the hair has grown in.  

Tina Venetos, MD
Lake Forest Dermatologist

Hair loss right after Hair Transplantation

There is a phase after Hair Transplantation (including Neograft) where the transplanted hairs grow for a couple of weeks and then fall out - this is called the catagen phase. After about 3 months, these hairs grow back and you develop your final results. There is also something called "Shock Loss" which can happen when the hair grafts have poor nutrition and they fall out permanently - sometimes up to 15-20% of the hairs. This is more common in smokers. A way to avoid this problem is to super-nutrient treat the hair grafts. We perform PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) to the hair transplant patients which is collected with a small blood draw and condensing your own growth factors to use as a sort of miracle grow for your new grafts. This drastically decreases the shock loss. Best Wishes!

Side effects of Neograft

Like with any hair transplant procedure, “shock loss” is the most common side effect, but it is not permanent. This is due to the stress exhibited to the transplanted area in addition to swelling. It is also to be expected for the grafted hairs to fall out anytime between the first few weeks up till 3-4 months post procedure. The seed of the transplanted follicle will stay intact and in a matter of time the follicle to regenerate a new hair. Patience is key.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Hair shedding after hair transplant

Neo graft is an instrument that is used to do FUE. Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a revival of the old punch technique obtaining donor hair with a small circular cutting instrument. These punches are used to harvest follicular units one at a time from the donor area. as the harvesting is done and also as the recipient sites are made, sometimes the client experiences shock loss.  If the hair transplant doctor is specialized there are some steps that can be taken to minimize the shock loss.  However, if they are not then as they are making the donor incisions and also as they are harvesting, they can damage the surrounding hair and cause hair shedding after transplant.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft

Your question is a common one. Yes, the hairs will fall out after transplantation.  You may see flaking and hairs attached to the flake at 2-3 weeks.  By then, the follicle is generally already integrated and what you see is the normal hair loss that occurs after transplant.  New hairs should begin to grown back by 6 months to a year.  Just be patient.  More hair awaits!  I do quite a bit of transplantations with NeoGraft. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Hair loss after a hair transplant

After having a hair transplant with the Neograft or any other technique, it is possible to have some hair loss or shedding in the grafted area.  This 'shock loss' is called Telogen Effluvium.  The hair will return after the follicles rest, similar to the new grafts.  It is more common in female patients.  In order to improve scalp blood flow and growth of hair, low level light therapy (LLLT) can be tried in the interim.