Hair Implants for Woman in Her 20's?

Is it possible to have hair implants if you are a woman in her mid 20's and just have over-all very thin hair?

Hair Tranplant for Women with Thinning Hair

+1

Unfortunately this is very unlikey to be successful.  People with diffuse, thin hair are not good candidates because there is no good donor hair.

Hair transplants in 20's

+1

You must take two things into consideration here. 1) is there an underlying cause for the diffuse hair loss that should be investigated? 2) If the problem is familial (genetic) and a diffuse pattern, will you be satisfied with a less than thick ( very dense ) result, or would you rather consider a weave or other process. See a good transplant surgeon and get a first hand recommendation. Age is not the problem here 20 is not too young so long as other factors are O.K.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Implants for Woman in Her 20's?

+1

There is only a small percentage of women who are good candidates for a hair transplant.

The reason for this is because most women that we see tend to have what we call diffused thinning. Meaning that the hair is thin all over. If we were to take hair from the back of the head, which is thinning(diffused), more than likely, that hair would be pre-destined to fall out at a later date.

However, we see women who have what we call male pattern baldness as well. This condition is where the hair is thin on top, but remain thick and healthy on the sides and back of the head. If this is the case than the women more than likely will be a good candidate.

Our Luce treatments seem to be a very popular modality for our women and men patients as well.

Hope this helps,

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant for diffuse thinning in women maybe ok

+1

I agree with most of the surgeons answers, particularly doing a workup to make sure that there is not a correctable medical problem, e.g., hormonal imbalance, low thyroid, low ferritin, etc., or a dermatologic condition like chronic telogen effluvium, etc.

If medical and skin conditions are ruled out and your donor area is spared, there is a chance for hair restoration so long as you understand the limitations in your situation. Again, all of this would depend on seeing you to look at donor hair caliber and density as well as pattern of hair loss.

In men who are thinning in their early 20s, they have the option to shave their head. Women do not have that option today. Also, women tend not to go completely bald on the top no matter how thin they get unlike men. That being said, a hair transplant that is TARGETED may actually be a viable option so long as a woman is cognizant of the limitations.

For example, if she is willing to style her hair in a certain way then a target restoration could be accomplished by focusing on major impact zones. I call these areas the T and L's. If a woman parts her hair in the center then i do a T type transplant focusing on the hairline/central forelock and middle part. If a woman parts on one side, then I focus the hair along the part (vertical limb of the L) and the hairline/forelock (horizontal limb of the L).\

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants in Women

+1

Hair transplants can be done in men or women of any age, as long as they meet the criteria for this surgery. However, a person with diffuse thinness is usually not a candidate. The lack of thickness may just be an inherited physical characteristic, but I strongly recommend a thorough physical evaluation by your family practitioner or internist to rule out any medical cause such as a thyroid abnormality.

Hair Transplants are not for diffuse hair loss

+1

Patients with diffuse hair loss at any age are generally not candidates for hair transplants. You should have a work up by your primary care physician, which should include several blood tests.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible - but likely not for you

+1

Hair transplant surgery can be performed on people of any age. In your case, given a diffuse loss at such a young age, I would question if you have an underlying medical condition that is causing your hair loss. I would suggest talking with your primary care physician or obtaining a consultation with a dermatologist. At times, treating the medical condition can cause your hair to regrow. A hair transplant though, is not a good option for someone with diffuse hair loss.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

No!

+1

I assume you mean hair transplants. This is not for people with diffuse loss. You can however get hair extensions which will thicken the look of your hair.