Hair Growing Back After Five Laser Hair Removal Treatments.

I had about 12 sessions of laser hair removal treatments eight years ago and after several years the hair started to grow back. I got five treatments this year with excellent results with the Soprano laser and now all my hair is starting to grow back. I don't understand why this is happening? Should I keep doing more treatments? I was told I was the perfect candidate since I'm extremely pale with black hair. Thank you.

Evaluation by Dermatologist Recommended after Laser Hair Removal Regrowth

+1
First and foremost, with this much laser hair removal, please make sure you are evaluated by a board-certified dermatologist who can help determine if any specific medical conditions are at play in causing the hair regrowth. The reality for you and many folks like you is that this procedure is called permanent hair reduction – it is not permanent hair removal. So things including your own hormones, your own hair cycles, as well as the skill of the laser technician and the laser itself all weigh into how many treatments are needed. But this is a lot and I would recommend being seen by someone who knows hair.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Regrowth of Hair after Laser Hair Removal

+1

Thank you for your question. Many reasons can be an issue for regrowth including age, genetics, ethnicity, hormonal imbalances, and the type of laser used and settings. A 1064 or 755nm laser are the best options.  They are very consistent, and remove hair  with reliable results. Make certain you are being supervised by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon during your series for best results and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Laser Hair Removal and Re-growth of hair

+1

If you are having 12 sessions of laser hair removal and your hair is growing back then there may be some underlying hormonal problem.  Alternatively, settings which are too low may have been used which gave you temporary but not permanent hair removal.  I suggest you seek another consultation by a board certified dermatologist with experience is laser hair removal.

Michele S. Green, MD

Hair Growth after Laser

+1

Hopefully you are being treated at a physician supervised clinic. I advise having a hormonal panel drawn to see if your androgen level is high. You may need a more aggressive setting on the laser. Lastly, for reasons that we do not understand, hair removal lasers can sometimes cause paradoxical hair growth.

William M. Ramsdell, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon