Will hair grow over a scarred area? if not, is there a way to make it grow? (photo)

I recently fell and cut my lip and above it pretty badly. It is scabbed over so I'm wondering when the scab falls off if hair will grow there.

Will hair grow over a scarred area? if not, is there a way to make it grow?

+1
Usually No, since the scarred area has lost its hair follicles. The only option is Single Folicular Transplant, where individual hair can be transplanted to the scarred area.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

Hair growth after wound healing

+1
Hair growth will depend on the depth of the injury and the level of scarring. From your photo it appears that your injury is likely not deep enough to permanently damage hair follicles so I would suspect that you will have hair regrowth. If the hair does not grow back, then the best treatment would probably be to have the entire scar cut out and sewn together - called scar excision.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist