Will my Hair Grow Back After my Scalp Scabs Fall Off?

After having Mohs surgery on my scalp for basal cell skin cancer, I had a flap done in one area. I have several scabs on my head and when they come off, so does my hair. Will it grow back and when?

Hair regrowth after Mohs surgery

+1

As long as the hair follicles were not damaged during the surgery then the hair should grow back. The hair will not grow back in the suture line but should all around that.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Time will tell whether scalp hair will regrow after skin cancer reconstruction

+1

I would agree with my colleagues that you could very well have temporary hair loss but only time will tell. It's not unsual to have temporary hair loss after Mohs reconstruction but excessive tension or superficial flap elevation can result in permanent bald patches.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair growth in scabs

+1

It sounds as if you are still in the process of healing. The hair follicle will usually grow a hair back if it is not destroyed/injured in the process of the flap/surgery. You will be able to assess the situation better after the healing process has finished- this can take up to 4-6months.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Mohs surgery on the scalp and hair loss

+1

Without examining you it is difficult to answer your question. In general, it is very common to have a temporary loss of hairs after surgery on the scalp. In three months some more may come out as hair that had been in a resting phase is now pushed out by new hair growth from below. If the scab however is a deep scab from not enough circulation to the skin, then the hair may not regrow. There are times that no scab is present but the hair thins out and does not regrow around the scar, this is not as common.

Ronald Shelton, MD