Why Do Hair Clinics Want You to Return for More Hair Surgery After the Iniitial Time?

why not have hair surgery once? Get all the hair transplanted once and your done.

Plan for the future!

+1

Unless you are sure you have lost the last hair you are going to lose, you need to plan for the future.

A large transplant done too early will cause two problems at least. First it may not look completely natural as you begin to lose hair around it.

Second, if you have already used up all the transplantable hairs, you will have nothing left for little finessing touch-ups in future years.

South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant in More Than One Session

+1

There are a couple of different answers to this question. With regard to the surgery itself, the amount of hair that can be transplanted safely and effectively in one session varies dependent upon the surgeon, clinic, tools, and technique; not to mention the patient’s level of baldness, viable donor area, and desired results. For example, an NW 6 patient who wants a good deal of density restored will likely need several thousand grafts. Say, 8,000. This many grafts would likely require the use of body hair transplant, and could not safely/effectively be done in one session.

With regard to male pattern baldness, clinics often make patients aware that the first hair transplant is not always the last, due to the progressive nature of this hair loss condition. Newly transplanted hair is not DHT sensitive, and thus, will not normally fall out. But the pre-existing hair may continue to fall out around it, in which case, a second surgery may be necessary.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Return visits for hair restoration

+1

The majority of hair restoration surgery is done on younger men (20-40)  who are continuing to lose hair to male pattern baldness. No matter what technique is used, baldness does not stop after an operation.  There is usually a limited amount of hair that can be moved and the distribution of it is best done in stages. Even the flap operation  involves multiple stages to have all work completed and no more than two can be done.

Whether you have grafts or a flap makes no difference in my opinion and experience. Multiple procedures are the rule with rare exceptions. It is rare that one operative session can give a lifetime total correction for male pattern baldness. A hereditarily high hairline is another thing entirely.

The flap certainly gives a lot of hair at once and if you have a limited balding pattern you can get a very thick look for many years if not a lifetime. Having had probably  the longest experience (since 1975)  with this approach has led me to rarely presently recommend the flap  procedure since many of my long term results now have styling problems with present shorter hair styles.

Also I feel grafts should not be done on just anyone who wants hair. An individalized plan should  made for each patient with concern for their future.  

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplants vs. Fleming-Mayer Flap.

+1

You can only do a limited amount of grafting per session without getting good healing and that is why it takes many sessions to complete. You can avoid this by having the entire frontal area replaced with the Fleming-Mayer Flap. This must be done by a surgeon who does this operation frequently.  The surgeon does not make as much money as with grafts but I feel the results are superior as do my patients for the past 35 years.