Asymmetry Following Breast Lift and Reduction, What Are My Options?

My left Brest is bigger and my fight on is flat. I went to the doctor that did them and he told me he wanted to do lipo on the left breast and silicon implants to feel out the look to make them the same. What would you do?? Did my doctor mess them up the frust time around or did I have this shape before just never knew it because my Breasts where so big and do you think I should go to a doctor that has more expiries than the one I do have?

Your before reduction/lift pictures would help

+1
Your asymmetriy is very normal and you have few option. If you want bigger breast, you can get implants to enlarge the breas with different sizes for each breast. The next option is fat grafting to even out the size.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with asymmetry of breasts following a breast reduction

+1

Most women have asymmetry of their breasts, some quite substantial. Without photographs, it is unknown what the extent of your situation was. Regardless, one should never expect complete symmetry following a breast reduction.

Though your postoperative photo appears to show some asymmetry (file size too small), this is by no means abnormal or evidence of a poor surgical outcome.Iin fact, the results are quite acceptable. Nevertheless, if you desire greater symmetry and your plastic surgeon feels that something can be done to further improve the results, then it would reasonable to proceed.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Asymmetry

+1

Most women have natural asymmetry - our left and right side are never mirror images.     However, if there is an obvious difference, surgery can help improve that.   I don't think your doctor messed up - I always talk to my patients about the fact that subtle asymmetries will remain following surgery, and we go over the preoperative asymmetries that already exist... focusing on the ones that I can control and the ones that will remain after the procedure.

One option would be to reduce the larger side a little and try to get them more even, or opt for making both breasts larger with implants.  I would talk with your surgeon about options, and seek other consultations if you want to get another opinion.    I don't know when your surgery was, but it's advisable to wait at least 6 months for everything to settle before pursuing more surgery.  The breasts can still change between 3-12 months (and beyond).

Good luck!

Michelle Spring, MD

Breast asymmetry after surgery

+1

Thank you for the pictures- it shows the breast asymmetry that you are referring to. As you mentioned, breast asymmetry  is very common prior to surgery and some breast asymmetry is to be expected after surgery. So, I do not believe your doctor “messed up”. Improving symmetry in your case should not be difficult and there are several options available and you may get several different opinions from different doctors. You should determine what your goals are and make sure you're comfortable that the doctor you select (if different from your initial surgeon) is a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

In regards to size, it is also very important to communicate your goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
If the patient decides to use breast implants, I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Mastopexy and asymmetry

+1

Asymmetry between the breast is normal with their without surgery. You may have had an asymmetry prior to surgery and this makes it more likely to have the asymmetry after surgery or asymmetry could be caused by more breast tissue removed on one side than the other.

No breast reduction is perfectly symmetric but you do your best during surgery to make the breasts as symmetric as possible. It may take 6 months or more for all the swelling to go away and get a final look of the surgery.

It may be best to wait and let everything heal as best as it can and then reevaluate what you want to do. If you still are not okay with the results the 1st thing you must decide is which side you like better the smaller side or the larger side. If you like the smaller side then a revision of the mastopexy with a small amount of breast tissue removal could solve your problem.

If you're considering an augmentation you must consider all the complications of augmentation. Including the possibility that the implant will not last a lifetime, that's mastopexy augmentations have more complications than augmentations alone and all the other complications of augmentation.

I would recommend waiting at least 6 to 8 months to let the breast heal and see how you feel about the result at that time.

Wendell Perry, MD