Voluma Facelift?

Is Voluma an appropriate solution without surgery for lower face sagging?

Not surgery

As people age, the cheek area loses volume, making the cheeks flatten out and the skin droop and sag. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler that is approved to temporarily correct age-related volume loss in the cheek area. It instantly provides smooth, natural-looking results that last up to two years with optimal correction. Most of my patients have been very happy with their results using Voluma, even given the higher cost for this filler.  Voluma can restore volume and may give a slight lift, but it is not the same as what you can get with a facelift.

Voluma results for your facelift

Voluma has been around for a few years and our patients absolutely love it. It is supposed to be placed deep (deeper than restylane and juvederm) and provides impressive volume enhancement, specially in the cheeks. As with any filler, risk of bruising, swelling, and lumps are possible. Lumps are much more common if the filler is placed too superficially or in areas with thin skin. In our practice, it has started to replace Radiesse and Sculptra. It is a hyaluronic acid and therefore dissolvable as well. In the clinical trials, results were seen up to two years.  

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma Facelift

Voluma allows for excellent volumizing filler in the cheek area. It provides shaping in this area. It does not correct sagging. Remember fillers Fill they do not lift. If you are using a filler to lift then you are over volumizing and actually making a patient look unnatural.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Voluma or liquid Facelift Requires Aesthetic Judgement and Must be Customized for the individual Patient

The answer to your question is very patient specific.  I commonly treat patients with a concept that I call "Aesthetic Facial Balancing" to deliver very natural appearing rejuvenations without surgery.  I use low G' hyaluronic acid fillers to create a natural draping of the soft tissues.  I do not like volume because it creates a more unnatural lift that doesnt drape as well.  Be careful in selecting the practitioner to apply fillers in your face.  Most place filler too low creating an artificial "lion face" or "Monkey face."  Fat grafting is another great option for most that can be much more economical.  Both techniques can be wonderful or disasterous depending on the skill and judgement of the injector.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Voluma for facial sagging

Voluma is a fabulous injection for the mid face as it provides an immediate lift. Voluma will not really help the sagging in the lower face that you are describing. For the lower face I prefer Sculptra since it naturally builds collagen in the face and can be used in other areas than just the mid face. In addition I would recommend Thermage to tighten the lower face. It works extremely well in building collagen in the lower face and provides excellent results especially when combined with Sculptra. 

Voluma expert in Los Angeles

Voluma is an excellent product and we have successfully used Voluma in conjunction with Ultherapy and mini and full facelifts. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Voluma Facelift?

Dear molly, thank you for your question. Injectable fillers can be used to enhance facial volume, correct lines and depressions, and rejuvenate the face without surgery. Some common fillers used in our San Diego practice include restylane, juvederm, perlane, voluma, radiesse, and sculptra. Consult with an experienced facial plastic surgeon injector to review your options. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for lower face

Voluma is approved for use in the cheek areas at this time.  The best choce would be a full evaluation by a surgeon experienced in surgical and nonsurgical options for treating the lower face.  

Susan D. Vasko, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

VOLUMA AND SURGERY

There are multiple aspects of facial aging -- specifically sagging tissues, volume loss, and aging skin.  Volume enhancement through Voluma, other dermal fillers, or autologous fat transfer is commonly performed in conjunction with lower face / necklifting.  Oftentimes, we will perform laser skin resurfacing, as well.  

Voluma is indicated in the midface and cheek region of the face.  Results are natural with an experienced and skilled surgeon and last 2 years.  It may address lower face and neck laxity somewhat but not as directly as a surgical procedure.  An alternative to surgery is ultrasound-guided tightening, or Ulthera.

Good luck!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for lower face sagging

Dear Mollygirl,

Many good points have already been made. Facial aging changes that we see are caused mainly by Descent of the soft tissues with loss of boney support,  Deflation of the soft tissues, and Deterioration of the skin quality.  Historically, fillers have been most useful for filling the deflated areas of the face while surgery had been used to "lift" the descended areas.  Voluma is different from the other hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers in that it has the ability to give much more structural support so it really can not only fill but also provide lift in some scenarios.  This is why it can be so useful in the mid face but also other "off label" areas of the face.  It can also be diluted for administration in some of these areas to avoid lumpiness if it has to be used more superficially or in someone who is very thin.  This product has been a welcomed addition to the armamentarium of surgeons operating in the mid and lower face.

Roger A. Dailey, MD, FACS
Portland Oculoplastic Surgeon