Can I Have a Chin Implant After Getting Fat Injections?

I had chin fat injections and now want a chin implant. Must the fat be removed first?

+1

Yes, if your chin is still weak after having the fat injections (transfer) to the chin a Chin Implant can be placed for further chin augmentation.  The fat is within the tissues while the chin implant, I prefer using silastic chin implants that sit directly on top of the bone.  Be sure the plastic and cosmetic surgeon, you select for placing the chin implant, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.

Chin augmentation with fat injections or chin implants

+1

Fat injections to the chin are rare.  However, they are performed in a different surgical plane than a chin implant. You can proceed with a chin implant if that is your desire.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Chin implant okay after Fat grafting

+1

It is perfectly okay to have a chin implant placed after having had fat grafting done to the area. I would recommend that you wait at least  12-18 months after the fat grafting before having the implant placed, though. The final fat graft result should be evident by then allowing for the selection of the appropriate implant size. Any post-fat grating asymmetries can be addressed at that time as well.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implant after fat injection

+1

chin implant is safe to do after fat injection but better to wait a few months to assess the final chin contour before choosing implant.  the injected fat does not need removal

Sam Naficy, MD

Best to wait approximately one year

+1

It is probably best to wait approximately one year before getting a chin implant after fat injections. Any residual swelling and/or fat needs to be addressed so that the wrong size is not placed in the chin area. The fat will not have to be removed since the chin implant is placed on the bone in a subperiosteal pocket underneath the skin.

In most cases a chin implant can be placed below the area of fat transfers

+1

Normally a chin implant is placed just above the bone of the chin. The most common problem with fat transfers to the chin is that much of the fat is lost over time. This problem would be corrected completely by a chin implant. However, if there is irregularity or asymmetry from the injections, thisd would be corrected at the time of implant.

Stanley G. Poulos, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon