Risk Infection from Shower Water Post Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation 3 weeks ago & am going to Mexico next week. I will not get in the ocean or pool but I worry about getting an infection from the water when showering. Should I be concerned?

At 3 weeks, should be fine, but don't forget to protect your incisions from the sun

+2

There should be no problem with showering at 3 weeks, as long as your incisions have all healed normally. One other thing to consider is sun avoidance when you're in Mexico, given that your incisions are still maturing. Some bathing suits do not offer complete UV protection, so in these situations, I recommend that before you put your suit on, put a little sunblock directly on your scar (SPF 30 or more) and then put your suit on. The sun's rays can affect the color of the scar, making it darker than we would like during this healing process, so it's important to protect them while on vacation.

Have a great trip!

Dr. Salemy

Web reference: http://www.drsalemy.com

There's no need to worry

+2

Your incision sealed itself after 24 hours so now that you are 3 weeks postop, there should not be any problems with water causing an infection.  Have a nice trip.

Expoosure of breast incisions to shower water following breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

As long as the wounds are healed with no opeinings, exposure to shower water should not be a concern. I would meet with your plastic surgeon to review this immediately prior to your trip.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Post-breast agumentation rick of infection

+1

If all your incisions healed without any complication, you should be fine at 3 weeks to shower comfortably in another country.

Should be no problem

+1

Hi there-

At three weeks, there should be little to no risk from showering, and i would even be comfortable letting you swim in a chlorinated pool (a bit longer for the ocean).

Have a great time in Mexico! 

Are all your wounds healed?

+1

Hello

We let our patients shower at 48 hours, so I don't believe you should have any worries about showering in Mexico when you go. The most important determinant of when to get in a pool or the ocean is how long your incisions have been fully healed. Ask your surgeon for those specifics, but showering should be fine. Enjoy Mexico!

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

After 3 weeks, you can go in the ocean and the pool.

+1

To dwaphoenix,

Hi!  As you can see, don't worry.  We let patients shower in 48 hours. By that time, the skin edges are sealed.  We have not seen any infections that developed because of early showers.

Showering after breast augmentation

+1

In the last 30 yrs. I have had my cosmetic patients shower and shampoo after all surgeries (cosmetic and reconstructive) within 48 hrs.-- Sometimes even sooner.

Assuming your wounds are closed and sutures are out, even in Mexico, your risk of infection is not any greater than if you had no surgery at all.

Soaking in a pool is fine too because they are chlorinated, BUT I tell my patients not to swim because I want to limit arm movement.

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

You should be safe

+1

As long as your incisions are closed and sealed you should be fine. Water and bacteria can not go through intact skin. Showering and swimming should be fine once the wounds are sealed.