Gypsum Splint for Tip Rhinoplasty: Really Necessary?

When no bones have been broken, is it really necessary to wear a gypsum cast? Is the purpose, merely protective, or does it reduce swelling? Or what? I would have thought surgical tape was enough.

Gypsum Splint after Tip Rhinoplasty

+2

Follow the routine of your rhinoplasty surgeon. I would use tape, not a splint after a tip-plasty, but many surgeons never use a splint, even after a full rhinoplasty. Most doctors today use a plastic splint, not plaster.

Cast After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

A cast after rhinoplasty is typically used to reduce swelling in the first 7 days or to keep an implant from moving until it has set. For a tip-plasty , tape may suffice but its really up to the surgeon.

Best.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

You may not require a splint after rhinoplasty if only tip work was performed.

+2

Some surgeons do not place nasal splints even if osteotomies are performed. My feeling is that the splint provides some degree of protection for your nose and is removed a week after surgery. I do not place a splint if only tip-plasty is performed.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a Plaster Splint for Nose Tip Surgery?

+2

Regarding: "Gypsum Splint for Tip Rhinoplasty: Really Necessary?
When no bones have been broken, is it really necessary to wear a gypsum cast? Is the purpose, merely protective, or does it reduce swelling? Or what? I would have thought surgical tape was enough
."

Splints are used to prevent and minimize swelling as well as to immobilize the underlying structures and guide their healing. The vast majority of nose surgeons do NOT use gypsum (IE plaster) splints, much less use it on the nasal tip.

This is an example of surgeon preference which in my opinion is not firmly based on current concepts and understanding of nasal wound healing.

Dr. Peter Aldea