Normal After Gynocomastia To Have Hardness Under Nipple?

Hello, i had gyno surgery. i'm six weeks post op and on my right nipple there is a hardness directly under it and around it where hte tissue is extremely firm is this normal or should i consult my surgeon?

Gynecomastia surgery Results?

+1

At this stage in your your recovery it will not be possible to determine what is firm tissue related to swelling/inflammation, scarring, or residual  breast tissue. I would suggest waiting 3 to 6 months before beginning to evaluate the end results of surgery.

I would also suggest continued patience and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Normal Scar Tissue

+1

This represents scar tissue in the area.  It is normal and should become softer  over time.  Some times it represents residual breast gland tissue, but i would not assume this at this time. Remember, the right and left side is always different.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Scar Tissue

+1

Dear Patient,

The hardness you are feeling may be normal. There is a possibility that it may be scar tissue. Scar tissue is the fibrous connective tissue which forms a scar; it can be found on any tissue on the body. Scar tissue, in general, does NOT go away. Adhesions, which are a form of scar tissue, can usually be broken loose through physical therapy. That can take time. It is best you consult your physician that did your surgery. Regards.

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after gynocomastia

+1

Hi!

It is normal to have some hardness from swelling but I agree that it would be best to consult with your board certified lastic surgeon to make sure the healing process is going as planned.

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Hardness beneath the nipple after gynecomastia surgery

+1

It's pretty normal to have an area beneath the nipple get hard, especially at the time you are. For the first 6 weeks, scar tissue forms which gets hard. During the next 6 weeks this generally gets softer and more flat. Continue to massage. Also, check with your surgeon, sometimes a steroid injection can be used.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Nipple Firmness After Gynecomastia Reduction

+1

While firmness underneath the nipple can be a normal part of the early recovery phase, it is important that you go back and be evaluated by your surgeon. This would be particularly important if it is just hard on one side and that breast shows more swelling and fullness compared to the other side.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Gynecomastia surgery

+1

If you have concerns about unusual firmness under the nipple after surgery, then it is probalby a good idea to see your surgeon for evaluation.

Hardness under nipple after gynecomastia surgery

+1
Your instinct is correct. It is always advisable to see your plastic surgeon if you have an postop concerns. You may be feeling residual swelling, scar tissue formation or possibly a seroma collection in this area but only an exam will elucidate whether this is part of the normal healing process or something which requires intervention.

Robert L. Kraft, MD