Should I Go to a Gyno or to my Plastic Surgeon Who Performed my Tummy Tuck 2 Years Ago?

I had 2 c-sections and two very aggressive tummy tuck with lipo which the doctor removed 25 pounds of fat and skin around my waist 2 years ago, I still get swollen and get cramps and daily pelvic pain that sometimes is unbearable in my lower tummy. It gets worst if i sit for long periods. I Went to the doctor and he did ultrasound found out I have fibroids but they r to small to cause severe pain and swelling, he said it could be muscle adhesions, prescribed oxycodone and refered me to the gyno.

Deep pelvic pain, See gyn

+1

You should have a formal pelvic exam done by your gyn. A tummy tuck is all done above the muscle so no pelvic pain should occur from this procedure. If you dont get an answer then see your plastic surgeon.

Pelvic Pain Should Be Evaluated By A Gynecologist

+1

Thank you for this challenging question.  I believe your doctor was correct in referring you to a gynecologist.  Pelvic pain and cramping are within the scope of practice of a gynecologist, and very unlikely to have been caused by abdominoplasty and liposuction. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Cramps and swelling related to Tummy Tuck?

+1

The pelvic pain and cramps is unlikely to be related to the surgery. I would start with your OB doctor first.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Pelvic pain after tummy tuck

+1

Your pelvic pain is unlikely related to your tummy tuck which is a more superficial procedure but still I would recommend you follow up with your primary care physician for an appropriate referral to the right specialist.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or not, see your primary doctor for pelvic pain

+1

It is reasonable to think about your tummy tuck when after you have pains, however pelvic pains can have very many causes, and your primary care physician is the best place to begin a work up to sort things out.

Appopriate Referral

+1

Your primary care physician is in the best position to refer you to the appropriate person, and the referral to your gynecologist makes sense. You can alway consult with your plastic surgeon after other conditions have been ruled out.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Pelvic Pain and Appropriate Referral?

+1

I think your primary care physician is in the best position to advise you. Based on your description of daily pelvic pain, I think his referral to a gynecologist is appropriate. Evaluation by your gynecologist and/or any imaging that he/she performs will be helpful in ruling out the causes of pelvic pain. Once these causes of your symptoms have been evaluated/ruled out, follow up with your plastic surgeon if necessary.