Had Gynecomastia Surgery 5 Years Ago but Nipple is Still Puffy, What Can Be Done?

I had a lump removed from my left nipple when i was 17. they made an incision around the bottom of the areola and removed the glandular tissue, and there wasnt really a need for lipo. It healed up fairly well and it looks alot better than it was, but it has never fully returned to normal. There is no hard tissue left under the skin but it is still puffy and bigger than the right side. it is even noticeable through a t shirt. im not fat but would burning a bit of bodyfat help this?

Puffy Nipple After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi danny,

Thanks for the post. If you are still experiencing puffy nipples after surgery you either have residual breast tissue or scar tissue. In any event, exercise will not improve it and will need to excise it to achieve the contour you are aiming for.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Puffy nipple

Although you may not realize it, there is probably breast tissue that is still below your nipple and areola complex. It may be minimal, but enough to cause "puffiness" that is bothersome. This can be removed by making small incision around the areola and adjusting the contour.

John E. Sherman, MD

It's always good to be at your ideal weight and physically fit.  Burning a few calories may or may not solve your concern.  If there is residual tissue under the left nipple it can likely be excised under local anesthesia.

I would recommend you follow up with your plastic surgeon and seek his or her opinion.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Residual Tissue after Gynecomastia

The most likely cause of puffiness in the nipples after correction of gynecomastia is residual glandular tissue. The treatment would be surgical excision of the excess residual tissue.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Gland still present

You most likely have breast gland tissue present to cause the puffiness.  A exam is required to determine this but if if protrudes through a tee shirt then this is my guess.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Puffy nipple after excision for gynecomastia

Without an exam, it is tough to say why your nipple is puffy.  It may be that you have residual tissue underneath that is causing a problem for you.

Gynecomastia Surgery and Continued “Puffiness”?

Sometimes the residual “puffiness” is related to residual breast and/or adipose tissue present. Sometimes, on the other hand, the puffiness may be related to a larger areola on one side versus the other.  This may be the case for you given your description of “no hard tissue left under the skin”.

It will be in your best interests  to be examined by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon  for accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Of course, “burning a bit of body fat” can't hurt but additional surgery may be necessary to achieve your final goals.

Incomplete Man Breast (Gynecomastia) Correction

The most common reason for peristent "Puffy Nipple" after Man Breast Correction surgery is that not enough breast gland tissue was removed leaving some under the nipple complex. The best way to correct your condition would be to go back and complete the job.

Good Luck.

Puffy Areola After Gynecomastia Reduction

The residual 'puffy nipple' or puffy areola after gynecomastia reduction is the result of residual glandular tissue not fat.  It can not be reduced by exercise or any other fat burning approach. It requires further resection of excess breast tissue through your old areoalr incision. This is the only successful solution to reduce the remaining prominence of the nipple-areolar complex. 

Gynecomastia

After gynecomastia surgery, the persistant puffyness of the nipple areola can be caused by many caused, excess breast tissue, scar, or fat. A physical examination can determine that and a plan for correction can be discussed with you