Gynecomastia Surgery Post OP Swelling and Hardness?

I just had liposuction surgery around the chest area, there is a hardening swollen surface approximately 4-6cm tall and runs all the way across my chest to my side torso, its all under the nipple area going towards the serratus anterior. Any clues what it is, the doctor said he removed the gland so i have no idea, what is it?

Swelling and Hardness after Surgery

+2

Hardness, swelling and/or bruising are all normal responses of the body at an incision site. Be sure to follow your post op instructions carefully and watch for any change in colour or size of the area.

My patients are all provided with a fact sheet of post op instructions of what to expect after surgery. For my gynecomastia patients, we implement massaging of the surgical area(s) approximately one week after surgery to help soften the areas. It is best not to start any massage routine or treatments until you have been advised to do so by your surgeon. Be sure to follow the recommendations and instructions outlined by your surgeon’s office.

+1
If this is very recent, it is likely swelling and some scar tissue formation.  Your surgeon should be able to give you further insight.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Hardness after Gynecomastia surgery

+1

It is not unusal to have swelling and hardness the way you describe after gynecomastia surgery and liposuction. This is normal and will disspate in a few weeks though some areas remain hard for a couple of months. Eventually it all goes away. If not too tender I tell my patients to massage the area but you should check with your surgeon to see what he/she advises. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon