I Have Had Gynecomastia Surgery 2 Months Ago, I Have Several Questions?

Im 19 yo.I have had liposuction and gland removal through a periareoler incision(skin was saggy and had been removed) I have regained sensation on the left side. Both areolas are 2" in diameter relaxed, the left contracts normally while the right does not have any nipple protrusion it just shrinks in size, is this normal?Would I regain sensation on the right side?Can I have a areola reduction surgery?When should I have it?How much can it be reduced?

Early Gynecomastia Surgery Healing

Hi Khaled,

Thank you for the post. At 2 months you are still in the healing phase. Sensation can take 1 to 2 years to return, but in most cases returns within months of the surgery. However, there is a chance that sensation will not return and this is one of the risks of the surgery that should be discussed prior to surgery. As for the areola reduction, I recommend waiting at least 6 months to allow the surgical site to settle. The degree to which it can be reduced is based on the current size, the skin tone around it, and the general proportion to the rest of your chest.

Dr. Dadvand

9201 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Nipple sensation after gynecomastia correction

Nipple sensation may take several months to a year to return after gynecomastia excision surgery. Areolar reduction may be performed at 4 to 6 months after your surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

121A East 83rd Street
New York, NY 10028

Gynecomastia surgery

Sensation usually returns within 6-8 weeks, but some take longer and some may  never regain it. As for the areola size, they can be reduced, but you should wait 4-6 months at least to see how things settle down.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

GYnecomastia results

Sensation can take up to a year to return,  if at all.  You may have a permanently numb nipple but you won't know for for a while.

Areolar diameter in a male is about 28 mm.  If your areola are too wide it is a simple matter to reduce the diameter with a little circum-areolar skin excision.  I would recommend waiting at least three months after your last surgery, or until the scars are fully mature (no change over a six week period) to allow for blood supply to reconnect.

Once you have reached a plateau in terms of scar maturation all otions for revision are acceptable.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

1208 East Kennedy Blvd
Tampa, FL 33602

Gynecomastia surgery recovery

The sensation to the nipples can take a long time (over a year) to return to one or both of the nipples after this surgery especially if there was an incision along the areola as in your case.  There is a slight chance that the sensation may never fully return to that nipple which is a know complication of the surgery.  As for reducing the size of the areola, that can be done anytime after 3-6 months after the initiial surgery.  The only drawback is that you will have scar around the entire areola and a chance for further reduction of the sensation to the nipple.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

4081 Tamiami Trail North
Naples, FL 34103

Yes,you can have reduction surgery

The sensation may or may not return, it is difficult to say and only time will tell.  This is one of the risk of the surgery.  I often perform areolar reductions about 6 months after the first surgery.  The areola can be reduced significantly.

Miguel Delgado, MD

450 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94108