Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Garment. How Tight Should it Be?

Hi! I had gynecomastia surgeryliposuction on my chest 3 weeks ago. And i was wondering how tight should the compression garment be and how long should i wear the compression garment? I felt that the garment i had was not giving be so much compression(became loose), so now i am using two compression vests' to get more tightness. Does extra tight compression give better final results and is it safe?

Compression Garment after Gynecomastia

+2

I ask my patients to wear a compression garment after this procedure for 3-4 weeks after surgery.  My staff measures the patient and I put the garment on while the patient is in the operating room.

It should fit snug but not too tight to cause discomfort.

Call your surgeon's office and follow their instructions as they know your history the best.

Compression garments help give a smoother contour and better final result

+1
I recommend for my gynecomastia liposuction patients to wear their compression garments for 4 weeks.  The purpose of the garment is to compress the tissues during early healing, which helps prevent fluid collections from forming and leads to a smoother final result. 

I like the Veronique brand and the style # 640 adjustable compression vest which has 3 levels of tightness. 

As the  swelling goes down, you can tighten the vest accordingly.  I also recommend that patients wear a comfortable t-shirt under the vest. 

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck!

David F. Pratt, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

+1
Firm compression is helpful in decreasing post operative swelling.  However, overly tight compression may cause skin necrosis.  Be careful and communicate with your surgeon.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Compression garment after a gynecomastia should be snug, not too tight

+1
Compression garment after a gynecomastia should be snug, not too tight to help minimize swelling, and help shape the chest (keep the skin adhering to the chest wall) without being too tight so that you can't breath properly.  I ask my patients to wear it for 2 weeks continuously

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Compression Garment

+1
I generally recommend patients wear a support garment for 6 weeks - night and day for the first three weeks, and then during the day for another three weeks. This garment will help reduce swelling and conform the skin to your new shape. It should be snug, but not so snug that you have trouble breathing. If your compression garment isn't as snug, you should ask your surgeon for a replacement. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Compression Garments Should Fit Snugly Following Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

In an effort to facilitate wound healing following breast reduction surgery, compression garments are frequently utilized. Compression garments should fit snugly, but should not fit tightly, because this can potentially damage the underlying skin. Compression following surgery helps minimize swelling, decreases hematoma formation, decreases post-operative pain and controls skin contraction.

In most cases compression garments are worn for four to six weeks. It’s important to remember that post-operative care needs to be individualized for each patient. In some cases, compression may be required for longer than anticipated, while in others it can be discontinued early.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after TT

+1

The garment should be pretty snug but not "tight". it should not be painful. Some guys will also wear the tighter Nike or Under Armour shirts after a couple of weeks with the garment.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Compression Garments after Gynecomastia/Male Breast Reduction Surgery Guidelines

+1

I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction male breast reduction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.

Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia Reduction) by liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:

1. it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Compression Garment After Gynecomastectomy

+1

I have all of my gynecomasectomy (or male breast reduction) patients wear compression garments for a few weeks after surgery.  We measure patients to decide on the proper size and I put the garment on in the OR.  It probably cannot be too tight unless it interferes with respirations.

John Whitt, MD