Gynecomastia Returns After 1 Month?

I had a surgery on both sides. results one week out of post op i removed the compression vest and both sides were mostly flat. but within one week they were puffy again and became very itchy. By the second week i have dense tissue under both sides again almost exactly the way it was before surgery but now has much more pain. Doctor said its scarring and fibrosis but I am doubtful of this, he said I have to wait 6 months for any revision. What should i do?

Recurrence 1 month post-op

+1

It is not uncommon to have swelling under the nipple/areola after gynecomastia surgery, and quite often, patients will notice worsening of this when I allow them to discontinue their compression vest 4 weeks post-op.  This is not recurrence of the gynecomastia, but rather, it is either routine post-operative swelling, or it might be related to some scar tissue in the area.  In most cases, time will resolve these concerns, and the swelling waxes and wanes during that time.  If the swelling under the nipple persists beyond 3 - 4 months, I will sometimes inject a corticosteroid (Kenalog) to address the scar tissue, and this works fairly effectively to decrease swelling related to scar formation.  I won't consider any sort of revision before 9 months to a year in most patients, since it can take that long for the swelling to fully resolve and for the scar to settle.  So for now, patience is the name of the game.  You should speak to your surgeon for recommendations on scar management and massage.

Newton Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

After surgery it takes 6-9 months for all swelling and scarring to subside. If it’s been more then 6-8 weeks you can start messaging the area to start breaking down the scar tissue. 1 month post-surgery you should be wearing a compression vest to help with the swelling.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS