Go to Gynecologist for Labia Plastic Surgery?

I noticed a gyno is now offering labiaplasty surgery. Are they qualified to do this surgery? Who is?

Labiaplasty surgeon

+2

You can find qualified surgeons of either specialty to do your procedure. Don't be in too much of a hurry to have cosmetic surgery without first doing your research.  Do not be swayed by price.  Your interview with the surgeon will tell you a lot: experience, patient referrals, pre and post op photos, etc.   I hope that this helps. 

Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty surgery is a very specialized procedure done often by few surgeons

+2

Labiaplasty is a relatively new procedure that is performed by few surgeons.  Most have never performed this procedure and others have only performed a few and have learned the technique at weekend courses.  Like all procedures, it is important to go to someone who has impeccable credentials and who performs many labiaplasty procedures and who can show you pictures of many results and who you are comfortable with.  As a board-certified plastic surgeon, I perform many labiaplasty procedures in our private surgical suite.  We have photos of many of our patients so that new patients can see the potential results.  We even have patients who are willing to speak with new patients to share their experiences.  Labiaplasty can be a simple procedure with a quick recovery and great results if performed by the right person.  Make sure you take the time to find the right person.  Good luck!

Dr. Parham Ganchi

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Labia reduction surgeon?

+1

You will find that both plastic surgeons and gynecologists perform the labia minora procedure. More important than the specialty of the physician is the experience level and end results that the surgeon can demonstrate to you. It is definitely worthwhile to do your “due  diligence" when doing your research and select a surgeon who can demonstrate his/her experience level etc.

Labiaplasty - Who is Qualified?

+1

This is an excellent - and there's no clear answer.  Many different surgeons from different field are at least in theory qualified to perform this surgery.  This would certainly include genitourinary surgery, urology, gynecology, plastic surgery, among others. 

The best thing is to find a few names from different sources, go visit them and try to get an idea of how comfortable you are with the surgeons.  Make sure they're certified by a board recognized by the ABMS (The American Board of Medical Specialites).  You can ask to see some Before and After photos although in a relatively new field such as this there may not be as many photos out there as for procedures that have been around for a decade or longer.

Based on all the above you'll need to make a decision, but at least it will be an informed one.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty surgery

+1

Not many surgeons in a given territory have a lot of experience with labiaplasty. Montreal, where my clinic is situated, has several plastic surgeons and  gynecologists who perform labiaplasties but few of them have done a large number. Both types of specialists are qualified to perform this procedure but, as with any surgery, you are best to have this done by a surgeon who has the necessary training and experience. Do not hesitate to ask your surgeon pointed questions about how many labiaplasties he or she has performed, what techniques they use, their complication rate etc.  

Arie Benchetrit, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

+1

Both plastic surgeons and gynecologists commonly perform these procedures. You may want to address this with your gynecologist and assess their comfort levels with the procedures. We have many pictures on our website and you may want to review these to get an idea about the range of results. The video depicts a typical procedure.