I'm a Gymnast and I Got an Injury in my Nose and Am Gonna Have a Surgery, So is 2 Weeks Enough to Go Back and Train Hard Again?

Intense training and physical activity after rhinoplasty

+1
Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. The amount of downtime varies greatly as well.

Return to work and social activities varies greatly based on the person. Patients tend to feel well within a few days after rhinoplasty although they have the splints in place, may have some swelling, and feel congested. There does not tend to be a lot of pain following rhinoplasty so most patients are able to do light activities like reading, typing, walking, etc. Typically, somewhere between 4-6 weeks, you can return to strenuous activities including intense exercise. 2 weeks is probably not enough time to recover prior to returning to your intense training routine. You should clarify with your surgeon what restrictions you have and when you can return to normal and strenuous activities.

Physical training after nasal surgery

+1

It is acceptable to undergo physical activities 2 weeks after the reduction of the nasal fracture.  And although there are usually no restrictions to activity after 2 weeks, it is important not to get the nose injured in the first couple of months after the procedure has been performed.

Rhinoplasty and activity

+1

Dear ramizkunkar,

• I usually suggest 3 weeks before training hard after a full rhinoplasty
  • It also depends on what kind of surgery you will have, if it is just resetting the nasal bones, your surgeon may OK you to start your activity sooner

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Returning to Physical Activity Following Nose Reconstruction

+1

Sorry to hear about your situation. I happen to see quite a few professional and non-professional athletes on a regular basis. I think two weeks is a little early to resume hard training once again. I would possibly recommend you consider easing back into your training with gradual increases in intensity. Make sure you clarify these issues with your rhinoplasty surgeon. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon