Gums Bleed when I Floss in the Middle of New Permanent Crowns?

Just had 2 front teeth replaced with 2 new permanent crowns. When I floss in between the middle of the crowns it bleeds heavily. It does not bleed on the sides of the crowns only in the middle of the 2 front crowns. Is there a problem?

Gums around new crowns....why do they bleed?

+1

It is hard to answer your question with knowing a bit more and seeing your teeth and new crowns.  How long ago were the crowns placed?  If just a few days ago, then might just be do to your gums settling down after the cementation procedure. 

If it has been a couple weeks, then I would suspect that there might be some excess cement that is still irritating your gums. Sometimes gums bleed because patients actually floss too hard, coming down on the papilla (gum between the teeth), traumatizing it themselves.

Improperly fitting crowns, fillings, veneers, etc., can also cause gum irritation.  Another reason is there might have been so much decay under the gums that the dentist had to place the crowns too close to the bone and gums.  This situation is relatively uncommon, but sometimes occurs, especially when patients wait too long to have their new crowns.

There should be a solution to your problem.  Go back to your dentist and see what he says before getting too worried about it.  He will no doubt make sure that the areas around your new crowns are clean and smooth and devoid of any excess cement and make sure that you are flossing/brushing correctly.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Bleeding Gums after Crowns.

+1

First off, healthy gums do not bleed and because it is one localized area there is something going on. There could be multiple reasons such as left over cement causing an irritation, open margin or simply an ill fitting crown. I would recommend you visit your dentist and have him/her take an x-ray to help diagnose the problem.

Natick Cosmetic Dentist

Bleeding Gums after two new crowns on front teeth

+1

You mentioned you just had these crowns done so a little bleeding when you floss may occur if you floss too hard while the gums are healing after the procedure.  It seems a little odd that it is only bleeding in the middle and if it continues make an appointment and go back and see you dentist. Healthy gums should not bleed....also try and old remedy using warm salt water to rinse your mouth  which will aid in healing.

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Bleeding gums

+1

It depends.  If the crowns are fairly new (1-2 weeks), the gums may be irritated due to ill fitting temporary crowns, or excess cement.  If the crowns are older, they are probably too bulky in the areas of bleeding, and should either be adjusted or replaced at no cost to you.

Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist

Healthy Gums Should Not Bleed!

+1

Healthy gums really should not bleed. This can be caused by several factors including being inadvertently traumatized by you in your effort to be diligent in you oral hygiene.  Give your dentist a call and let him or her take an x-ray and evaluate the situation.  The dentist will get to the bottom of it. 

Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

New Crowns Have Bleeding Gums

+1

I agree that you should have the dentist check the area for any source of irritation.  Sometimnes there can be a remnant of leftover cement that can cause irritation and it can be removed rather easily by the dentist.

Be sure to floss daily and you may want to try rinsing with an alcohol free antibacterial rinse like closys to decrease the inflammation and bleeding.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Healthy gums don't bleed

+1

If you JUST got the new crowns, the tissue may be healing, so give it time.  If it has been a while, a week or two, then go back and see the dentist.  It is possible some contouring or clean up of cement is needed.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Gums Bleed Heavy Between New Crowns

+1

Healthy gums should NOT bleed. If it's a few weeks since the new crowns were inserted, and the gums bleed heavily, go back and ask the dentist to investigate the source of irritation causing the gums to bleed.

New York Cosmetic Dentist