Hello, I was thinking of getting a TEAR DROP shaped implants, and I was wondering if the gummy bear ones will give me the natural look for the tear drop shape?
Are Gummy Bear Silicone Gel Implants Supposed to Look Natural?
Doctor Answers (6)
Tear Drop Implants
Gummy Bear breast implants
The Gummy Bear implants, which were available for a time as part of a study but are currently not widely available in the United States, are a firmer feeling implant, and they have to be teardrop shaped since they do not flow naturally like the commonly available round silicone gel implants. Round gel implants appear 'tear drop' in shape when you are upright, and round out naturally when you lie on your back. Since Gummy Bear implants do not flow in this way, they need to be shaped or they would look very unnatural when you are in an upright position. Their tear drop shape is not an advantage, it is a necessity due to their firmer consistency, and it does NOT make them appear more natural than the softer round gel implants.
Gummy Bear implants are not available in U.S.A
The most important factor in the breast augmentation is the patient's breast tissue and the surgeon skills. Based on the mammograms while patients are standing, all implants become tear drop in the breast.
You might also like...
Round breast implants feel and look more natural than teardrop
For most patients, round implants as opposed to "gummy bear" implants give a more natural result.
- Round implants have a teardrop profile in the upright position but round out like a natural breast in the lying down position
- Round implants are softer than shaped implants so they feel more like the natural consistency of a breast
- Teardrop shaped implants can rotate out of position causing deformity
- Gummy bear implants (Mentor CPG, Allergan style 410) are not available in the U.S. except as part of a clinical study
Round breast implants give the best results.
1) Even though they sound good, tear drop shaped or "anatomical" breast implants do NOT give you a more natural look. This has been shown in good scientific studies. Also tear drop shaped breast implants have a higher incidence of complications. They can flip around and create a deformity. They also have a textured surface which is associated with more rippling.
2) Gummy bear implants are something else. They are quite hard, they are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration in the United States, and I don't think they are a good idea for most women.
3) Most plastic surgeons use round, smooth surface breast implants.
Gummy bear implants
"gummy bear implants" are available from different manufacturers. If you're talking about and Natrelle style 410 implants, they are anatomically shaped and have a less "implant" look. The downside, is that they're slightly firmer than regular non-cohesive gel implants. There are other companies that make "gummy bear" implants, each varies.
Web reference: http://www.nyplasticsurg.com
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.
You might also like...
Ask a Doctor
Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.